Ed.D. Program Requirements
The Ed.D. in Executive Leadership program includes 20 courses totaling 60 credits. Candidates must finish the degree within six years of completion of the first course in the program. The time limit is inclusive of any leaves of absence taken by a candidate.
Ed.D. in Executive Leadership
All candidates must complete the following courses and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better each semester.
The number of credits for each course is designated in parentheses after the course title.
Core Curriculum Requirements - 60 credits
- DEXL 701 - Doctoral Studies Seminar (3)
- DEXL 702 - Contemporary Issues in Executive Leadership (3)
- DEXL 703 - Research Methods and Design (3)
- DEXL 704 - Leadership and Cultural Change (3)
- DEXL 705 - Field Experience I (3)
- DEXL 706 - Applied and Action Research (3)
- DEXL 707 - Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods (3)
- DEXL 708 - Field Experience II (3)
- DEXL 709 - Public and Human Relations (3)
- DEXL 710 - Assessment, Evaluation, and Organizational Improvement (3)
- DEXL 711 - Field Experience III (3)
- DEXL 712 - Public Policy, Law, and Ethics (3)
- DEXL 713 - Executive Leadership and Shared Governance (3)
- DEXL 714 - Field Experience IV (3)
- DEXL 715 - Finance and Resource Development (3)
- DEXL 716 - Human Resource Development and Continuous Improvement (3)
- DEXL 717 - Guided Dissertation Seminar I (3)
- DEXL 718 - Leadership and Diversity (3)
- DEXL 719 - Guided Dissertation Seminar II (3)
- DEXL 720 - Guided Dissertation Seminar III (3)
Optional Courses - 0 credits
- DEXL 721 - Dissertation Guided Dissertation Seminar IV (3)**
- DEXL 722 - Dissertation Guided Dissertation Seminar V (3)**
- DEXL 725 - Dissertation Continuation (0)**
**Requires permission of the dissertation chair and department chair to register.
Total: 60 credits
Note: Candidates in the Ed.D. in Executive Leadership program must finish the degree within six years of completion of the first course in the program. The time limit is inclusive of any leaves of absence taken by a candidate.
Notes on the Ed.D. Program
To qualify for the Ed.D. program, candidates are required to do the following:
- Complete a minimum of 90 credit hours. Up to 30 credit hours from an approved graduate degree program may be considered for transfer.
- Complete the program’s core requirements, comprised of a minimum of 60 credit hours that include research methodologies and the dissertation.
- Pass a comprehensive exam, and write and successfully defend a doctoral dissertation proposal and doctoral dissertation.
- Satisfy the residency requirement by completing at least 9 credits of core courses each semester for two consecutive semesters.
Core Curriculum Requirements
All candidates are required to do the following:
- Complete the program’s core curriculum, which includes 20 courses totaling 60 credits.
- Register for 9 credits each semester and be continuously enrolled to meet the core requirements, with the exception of the first summer, which requires candidates to register for 6 credits.
- Take the core courses offered in this curriculum; courses taken at other institutions may not be used as substitutes.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher each semester to continue in the program.
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Graduate Catalog.