RN to BSN Online Program Requirements
The fully-accredited RN to BSN curriculum is a modular program delivered in an online learning format, designed to respond to the needs of working professionals in terms of scheduling and flexibility.
R.N. to B.S. Online
Note: Per the New York State Education Department, the degree granted by St. John Fisher College for the Bachelor of Science Nursing program is a B.S. degree with a major in nursing.
The number of credits for each course is designated in parentheses after the course title.
Required Core/Liberal Arts/Electives – 60 credits
- St. John Fisher College Core requirements
- ECON 221 - SQ Statistics I (taken as a prerequisite for NURS 333)
- Ethics or bioethics (i.e., PHIL 124C, PHIL 250C, REST 130, REST 284D, or REST 387D)
- Additional liberal arts, sciences, general elective courses
Required Nursing Courses – 30 credits
- NURS 331 – Nursing as a Profession (3)
- NURS 332 – Caring for Populations (4)
- NURS 333 – Evidence-Based Practice (3)
- NURS 451 – Leadership in Systems of Care (3)
- NURS 452 – Holistic Health Assessment (4)
- NURS 456 – Informatics in Health Care (3)
- NURS 457 – Patient-Centered Care and Quality (3)
- NURS 458 – Contemporary Professional Issues (4)
- NURS 459 – Capstone Professional Portfolio (3)
Transferred Nursing Courses – 30 credits
- A total of 30 credits of nursing coursework may be transferred from an associate degree or hospital-based diploma nursing program.
Total: 120 credits
Note: Students must achieve a minimum grade of “C” in all courses required for the nursing major.
R.N./B.S. Fast Track Option
St. John Fisher College R.N./B.S. online students may petition to complete graduate coursework during their undergraduate study. The fast track options allow specific graduate courses to fulfill designated undergraduate requirements. Students may take advantage of one or both options.
Note: Approval to take graduate courses does not guarantee admission to the M.S. in nursing program. Students who wish to pursue their graduate studies at Fisher must complete the application process for graduate admissions. Please contact the Office of Transfer and Graduate Admissions for more information.
R.N./B.S. program students with a nursing GPA of 3.30 or higher may substitute two graduate courses for two undergraduate nursing courses. Students must have completed courses in nursing research, undergraduate health assessment, and introductory statistics with grades of "B" or higher and four undergraduate R.N./B.S. courses. Students should consult with their academic advisors and complete the Petition for Graduate Courses form.
Approved students may pursue one or both of the following options:
- GNUR 704 – Advanced Technology and Information Systems for Clinical Management (3)
in place of NURS 456 – Informatics in Health Care (3)
- GNUR 707 – Biostatistics and Epidemiology (3)
in place of NURS 459 – Capstone Professional Portfolio (3)
The completed graduate courses are posted as undergraduate credit on the student’s academic transcript, and there is no additional charge for these courses for students in the undergraduate R.N./B.S. online nursing program. The graduate courses are added to the student’s graduate transcript at the end of the first semester of graduate study at the Wegmans School of Nursing.
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.