Rank and Tenure Resources
This page provides a number of resources related to the four criteria of evaluation.
Teaching Effectiveness Resources
Moving Beyond Student Ratings: A Balanced Scorecard Approach for Evaluating Teaching Performance
K. E. (Skip) Hughes II and Gwen R. Pate
The value of peers and support from scaffolding: Applying constructivist principles to the teaching of psychology
Naomi Winstone & Lynne Millward
Faculty Do Matter: The Role of College Faculty in Student Learning and Engagement
Author(s): Paul D. Umbach and Matthew R. Wawrzynski
Faculty Best Practices Using Blended Learning in E-Learning and Face-to-Face Instruction
Fernando Mortera Gutiérrez
Best Practices in Information Literacy
Fiona Hunt, Jane Birks
Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
Founded by Andrew Carnegie in 1905 and chartered in 1906 by an act of Congress, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching is an independent policy and research center. Improving teaching and learning has always been Carnegie's motivation and heritage.
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) is the national voice for baccalaureate and graduate nursing education. AACN's educational, research, federal advocacy, data collection, publications, and special programs work to establish quality standards for nursing education; assist deans and directors to implement those standards; influence the nursing profession to improve health care; and promote public support for professional nursing education, research, and practice.
- A Brief Summary of the Best Practices in College Teaching: Intended to Challenge the Professional Development of All Educators, Lavery-owned book
- Using Classroom Inquiry to Improve Higher Ed Teaching & Learning, Lavery-owned ebook
- What They Didn't Teach You in Grad School, Lavery-owned ebook
- What the Best College Teachers Do, Lavery-owned e-book
- Student Engagement Techniques for College Teachers, Lavery-owned ebook
- Teaching at College and University: Effective Strategies & Key Principles, Lavery-owned ebook
- A Guide to Faculty Development (see chapter titled "Assessing Teaching Practices"), Lavery-owned book
- Teaching at Its Best, Lavery-owned book
- Teaching Students to think Critically, Lavery-owned book
- Teaching Tips for College Teachers, Lavery-owned book
- Jeffrey Buller, The Essential College Professor: A Practical Guide to an Academic Career (see chapter 5 for tips on creating an academic portfolio).
Academic Advising Resources
- Center for Career and Academic Planning
Every semester, just prior to the advising and registration period, the Center for Career and Academic Planning sends out The Academic Advisor newsletter. It includes commonly asked but easily forgotten advising questions.
- Registrar's Office
- The American Association of University Professors
- National Academic Advising Association
The National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) is an organization for professional advisors, counselors, faculty, administrators, and students whose responsibilities include academic advising. NACADA maintains a website listing of vacancies in academic advising that are organized by geographical regions.
- The Mentor
An academic advising journal published by Penn State University.
- The National Association of Advisors for the Health Care Professions
The National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions is an organization of over 900 health professions advisors at colleges and universities throughout the United States which serves as a resource for the professional development of health professions advisors. NAAHP has four regional associations — Central (CAAHP), Northeast (NEAAHP), Southeast (SAAHP), and West (WAAHP).
Fisher Resources to Support Scholarship
Fisher Digital Publications: If you include your works in FDP, you'll get a regular report on how people are using your scholarship, with downloads and access data for all of your work.
Lavery Library Guide to Impact Factors: Find out about different ways to measure the impact of your work and the journals in which it is published as well as links to the data about journals in which you are involved.
General and Disciplinary Resources on Scholarship
The following works may provide you with ideas for how to frame your scholarship or may be useful for relating your disciplinary perspective on scholarship to the committee and others in the tenure/promotion review process.
- Perkins, K. 2003. New definitions of scholarship.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Defining scholarship in the discipline of nursing.
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Summary of discussions about scholarship in pharmacy.
- Kennedy, R. Gubbins, P., Luer, M. Reddy, K. & Light, K. 2003. Developing and sustaining a culture of scholarship. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 67(3): 1-18.
- Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education. 2010. Scholarship Statement.