Research in Pharmacy Practice and Administration
Contributions to Health Care Research
Clinical research is the branch of medical science that determines the safety and effectiveness of medications, devices, diagnostic products, and treatment regimens intended for human use. These may be used for prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or for relieving symptoms of a disease.
The term clinical research refers to the entire bibliography of a drug/device/biologic, in fact any test article from its inception in the lab to its introduction to the consumer market and beyond. Once the promising candidate or the molecule is identified in the lab, it is subjected to pre-clinical studies or animal studies where different aspects of the test article (including its safety toxicity, if applicable, and efficacy, if possible at this early stage) are studied.
Adverse effects can occur as a collateral or side effect of many interventions, but they are particularly important in pharmacology, due to its wider, and sometimes uncontrollable, use by way of self-medication. Thus, responsible drug use becomes an important issue here. Adverse effects, like therapeutic effects of drugs, are a function of dosage or drug levels at the target organs, so they may be avoided or decreased by means of careful and precise pharmacokinetics, the change of drug levels in the organism in function of time after administration. Adverse effects may also be caused by drug interactions. This often occurs when patients fail to inform their physician and pharmacist of all the medications they are taking, including herbal and dietary supplements. The new medication may interact agonistically or antagonistically (potentiate or decrease the intended therapeutic effect), causing significant morbidity and mortality around the world.
- Karl G. Williams, "Case Law: Criminal Liability for Negligence," NYS Pharmacist: Century II, 86(1): 10-12 (2012)
- Ashley R. Hughes, Pharm.D., Michael C. Ott, Pharm.D., BCPS, Joseph Paladino, Pharm.D., Randy Gerwitz, R.Ph., and Gina M. Prescott, Pharm.D., BCPS, "Initial Stages in the Development of an Antimicrobial Stewardship Program in a Teaching Hospital," ACCP Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA (2011)
- Sherry Jimenez, M.S., John Veneron, R.Ph., Asim Abu-Baker, Pharm.D., CDE, Robert DiCenzo, Pharm.D., BCPS, FCCP and Keith DelMonte, Pharm.D., "Utilization of IPPE III Student Interventions by Medical Teams at a Long Term Care Facility," AACP Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX (2011)
- Jill E. Lavigne, Ph.D., Adrian Au, Richard Jian, Yei Wang, Charles B. Good, Paul A Glassman, Ph.D., Francis Cunningham. "Utilization of Prescription Drugs with Warnings of Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in the US and the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)" International Society for Phamacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL (2011)
- Margaret MacDougall-Rivers, Pharm.D. and Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., "Recognition of Chronic Kidney Disease in a General Medicine Outpatient Clinic," Renal Failure, 33(9):853-8 (2011)[PMID: 21859402]
- Roland N. Dickerson, Pharm.D., Leslie A Hamilton, Pharm.D., Kathryn A. Connor, Pharm.D., George O. Maish III, M.D., Martin A. Croce, M.D., Gayle Minard, M.D., and Rex O. Brown, Pharm.D., "Increased Hypoglycemia Associated with Renal Failure During Continuous Intravenous Insulin Infusion and Specialized Nutritional Support," Nutrition, 27:766-772 (2011)[PMID: 20971617]
- Andrea N. Traina, Pharm.D., BCPS, Michael P. Kane, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS, Gary Bakst, M.D., Robert S. Busch, M.D., FACE, Jill M. Abelseth, M.D., FACE, and Robert A. Hamilton, Pharm.D., "Efficacy of Teriparatide in Patients with Resolved Secondary Hyperparathyroidism Due to Vitamin D Deficiency," Endocrine Practice, 17(4):568-573 (2011)[PMID: 21454243]
- William A. Prescott, Jr., Pharm.D. and David J. Hutchinson, Pharm.D., "Respiratory Syncytial Virus Prophylaxis in Special Populations: Is It Something Worth Considering in Cystic Fibrosis and Immunosuppression?," Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 16(2): 77-86 (2011)
- Ashley R. Hughes, Pharm.D., Gina M. Prescott, Pharm.D., and Michael C. Ott, Pharm.D., "Assessment of Adjusting Renally Eliminated Medications from Order Entry through Hospitalization," ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim, CA (2010)
- Jill E. Lavigne, Ph.D., Jennifer Mathews, Ph.D., Kathryn L. Knox, Ph.D., "Post-market Surveillance for Suicide: The Case of Gabapentin", Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, 1:47-51 (2010)
- Kate M. Juba, Pharm.D. and Ann Rigali, Pharm.D., "Retrospective Chart Review of a Clinical Pharmacist's Interventions During Rounds in a Hospice Inpatient Unit," American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Annual Assembly, Boston, MA (2010)
- Richard F. O'Brocta, "Pharmacists Participation in the Development of an Experiential Program," Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 23(4): 371-373 (2010)[PMID: 21507838]