Sustainability Program Requirements
The sustainability minor consists of seven courses (19 credit hours). These courses may count toward the College Core or another minor.
Minor in Sustainability
A grade point average of 2.00 is required for all courses taken in residence that may be applied to the minor.
Introductory Courses - 9 credits
- Choose ONE:
- BIOL 101C - P4 Environmental Issues (3)
- SUST 102 - LC Issues in Sustainability (3)
- PHIL 235 - P2 Environmental Ethics (3)
- ECON 105C - P3 Principles of Microeconomics (3)
Electives - 9 credits
All of the following courses either provide skills that are vital to advanced critical thinking in sustainability issues or are an in-depth integration of sustainability to a specific field. To ensure a diverse evaluation of sustainability, only one course from a discipline (with the exception of SUST) can be applied as an elective. For example, only one CHEM course can be used to satisfy the requirement. Also note that this is a partial list of elective that may be used. Additional courses will be added as they are developed.
Choose THREE electives from the following group. Each elective must be from a different discipline (with the exception of SUST), with at least one at the 200 level or above.
- AMST/WGST 216 - P2 Feminist Theory (3)
- BIOL 408 - Ecology (3)
- BIOL 410 - Conservation Biology (3)
- CHEM 315 - Analytical Chemistry (3)
- ECON 360 - Environmental Economics (3)
- EDUC 335 - Differentiated Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) (3)
- ENGL 156 - LC Ecocomposition (3)
- ENGL 204 - P1 Nature Writing (3)
- ENGL 290 - Science, Rhetoric, and Public (3)
- HIST 108 - CC History of Hunting (3)
- MATH 170 - P4 Mathematical Modeling (3)
- POSC 211 - Intro Public Policy (3)
- PSJS 270 - CC Ethics & World Ecology (3)
- PSJS 275 - P3 Sustainable Futures (3)
- SPST 255 - Sustainability in Sport (3)
- SUST 138 - P4 Green Chemistry (3)
- SUST 210 - P4 Systems Thinking (3)
- SUST 310 - Sustainable Solutions (3)
Capstone Course - 1 credit
- SUST 400 - Sustainability Capstone (1)
Total: 19 credits
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.