Nursing Clinical Year Application
To begin your junior clinical year, you must apply to the School of Nursing for admission by March 1 of your sophomore year for a fall semester start or September 1 for a spring semester start. However, you are encouraged to apply early.
Applications can be submitted before all prerequisites are done, but a plan needs to be in place to complete all the prerequisites for the nursing major by the beginning of the clinical semester.
Initial admission decisions are made after the March 1 and September 1 deadlines. Applications submitted after the deadlines are processed as received and admission is on a space available basis.
Admissions Decision Criteria
The following criteria will be used to make a decision on every applicant:
- Scholastic Ability: Minimum 2.75 overall GPA (calculated on all undergraduate course work completed at all colleges); a "C" or higher in the required pre-nursing courses and a prerequisite GPA of 2.4 or higher including all attempts at these seven courses: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Nutrition, Statistics, and Development Across the Lifespan.
- Mathematics Screening Test: You may take the Math Screening Test up to four times to achieve the required score of 84%. You are encouraged to meet this requirement early in your preclinical experience so that remediation can be obtained if required.
- Submission of Application to Begin Clinical Year and two references to the School of Nursing (one reference must be from a college-level professor preferably from one of the science prerequisites).
- Student essay/personal statement a short (1-2 page) well developed essay, which speaks to your specific professional plans and career objectives.
- Date that the complete application was received by the Wegmans School of Nursing.
After you have been accepted into the junior clinical year, the following items are due:
- Health Status and Immunizations: Documentation of immunizations and a physical (dated no more than six months prior to starting clinical) on the Health History Form submitted to the Wegmans School of Nursing by July 15 (for fall admission) or October 15 (for spring admission) of the junior clinical year.
- CPR Certification: A current Basic Life Support (including infant, child and adult CPR) certification card from the American Red Cross or American Heart Association on file in the School of Nursing office by July 15 (for fall admission) or October 15 (for spring admission) of the junior clinical year.