Skip to content

Student Employment Process and Paperwork

Following is a step-by-step guide to the student employment process. After you have found and accepted a position:

  1. You and your supervisor will complete a Student Work Assignment form, following the directions provided with the form. You are responsible for completing all of Section 1, while your supervisor completes all of Section 2. All information must be provided.
  2. Bring the completed form to the Payroll Department for approval. You may need to complete additional employment paperwork at that time: I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form [pdf] presenting acceptable identification documents, W-4 Federal Tax withholding form [pdf], NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding form [pdf] or Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf]. Refer to descriptions of necessary paperwork below for explanations of the documents mentioned in this step.
  3. Next, bring the "payroll approved" copy of the Student Work Assignment form to your supervisor. At that time you may begin working.
  4. You will complete a Time Sheet [pdf] and have it signed by your supervisor for the hours you have worked during the pay period. The time sheet is turned into the Payroll Department by the due date as determined by the Payroll Schedules [pdf].
  5. If you have elected direct deposit, payroll funds will be in your bank account(s) on pay day morning. You can view your direct deposit payroll information on the Employee Services module of Fish 'R' Net. If you did not elect direct deposit, you will need to pick up your paycheck at the Student Accounts window on payday (Friday) or the following Monday, presenting picture ID. Checks not picked up by the end of the day Monday will be mailed to the permanent mailing address on file. If a paycheck is lost, destroyed, stolen, or stale dated and must be replaced, a check replacement fee will be assessed.

Descriptions of Necessary Paperwork

Please be prepared to complete necessary employment paperwork while at the Payroll Department office. In addition to your completed Student Work Assignment form, you will need to fill out the following:

  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form [pdf] – You cannot start working until this form is completed and all supporting documentation required by the Department of Homeland Security has been presented. Most students present an unexpired driver's license or school ID card with photograph in addition to a Social Security card or an original/certified copy of their state-issued birth certificate. A complete list of acceptable documents is included with the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form or can be obtained separately from the Payroll Department. You need to complete only one I-9 for student employment for the entire time you are at the College.
  • W-4 Federal Tax Withholding form [pdf] and NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding form [pdf] – Complete the forms listed above and return them to the Payroll Department. If you do not complete payroll tax withholding forms, the Payroll Department will automatically set your payroll tax withholdings at "single/zero allowances." Please see the Student Payroll Taxes section, below, for more withholding information.
  • Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf] (if applicable) – Your bank’s name and your account and routing numbers are required to set up this option.

Student Payroll Taxes

All earnings are subject to federal, state, and local income taxes, including federal work study and College non-work study. However, if you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours during the academic year (fall and spring semesters), your work study and non-work study earnings are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA).

New student employees who elect not to complete payroll tax withholding forms (Federal W-4 form and/or a NY IT-2101 form) will automatically be withheld at the single/zero allowances level.

The College also will automatically withhold payroll taxes at the single/zero level for returning student employees who elect not to complete payroll tax withholding forms with each new academic year. A new Form W-4 (federal tax form) and/or IT-2101 (NYS tax form) must be completed to request withholdings other than the single/zero level.

Please review your individual tax situation to determine an appropriate withholding status. Links to the federal W-4 and/or state NY IT-2101 forms are available on the Payroll Documents and Forms page.

See the Student Employment Handbook [pdf], under Employment Paperwork for more information.