Writing Center Resources
Writing Tutorials and Academic Resources
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) - Many interactive tutorials, worksheets, and more
- Excelsior College Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Grammar Slammer! - This site offers a wide range of information on grammar and punctuation from commas to capitalization to common mistakes.
- Common Errors in English - This guide lists several hundred errors as well as non-errors and commonly misspelled words. Compiled by Paul Brians, Professor of English at Washington State University.
- Ten Words You Need to Stop Misspelling - Comic from The Oatmeal
- Grammar Bytes
- The Writer's Handbook - from the University of Wisconsin - Madison
Dictionaries and Thesauruses
- Roget's Thesaurus - Helps you find synonyms.
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Online English Dictionary with thesaurus.
- Dictionary.com - Helps you look up any English word.
- Thesaurus.com - Helps you find synonyms.
- Project Bartleby - Online texts.
- Project Gutenberg - The premiere site for electronic texts.
- Elements of Style by William Strunk - A classic text on grammar and composition.
- DigitalPenn Online Books - from the University of Pennsylvania
- Images: A Journal of Film and Popular Culture
- HathiTrust - Millions of digitized titles from libraries around the world.
- Internet Archive - Digital library of internet sites and other cultural artifacts.
Research and Style Guides
- American Chemical Society Style Guidelines Quick Guide - from UC Berkley
- APA Style Guide
- Handbook of Rhetorical Devices
- Harvard Style Referencing Guide
- Internet Public Library: Literary Criticism
- Literary Resources on the Net - from Jack Lynch of Rutgers
- MIT Literature Resources
- MLA on the Web
- New York Review of Books
- Style Manual for Political Science [pdf]
- University of Virginia Library Scholar's Lab
- Resumes, Cover Letters, and Career Correspondence - Sample resumes, cover letters, and other career correspondence from St. John Fisher College.
- Literacy.org - "Research and innovation for a more literate world."
- Study and Learning Skills Online - from Charles Darwin University
- Rutgers Writing Program - Resources for teaching.
- Council of Writing Program Administrators - National association of college and university faculty with professional responsibilities for (or interest in) directing writing programs.
- National Council of Teachers of English
- MERLOT: Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching
- CompFAQ - Offers many pedagogical and scholarly resources for writing instructors at all levels.
- Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature
- Atlantic Unbound
- University of Minnesota Writing Enriched Curriculum (WEC)