Ph.D., University of Hawaii at Manoa
M.A., Bowling Green State University
B.A., University of Washington
Dr. Rice specializes in the history of photography, 20th-century American culture, and transnational American studies. He has been a contributor to Forbes magazine, Newsweek International, Huffington Post, and has been a panelist on the TV Ontario current affairs program The Agenda.
- Dean Worcester's Fantasy Islands: Photography, Film, and the Colonial Philippines (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2014, and Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press, 2015).
- Through the Lens of the City: NEA Photography Surveys of the 1970s (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2005).
- 1000 Photo Icons: George Eastman House (Köln: Taschen, 2002). Co-author.
- "Dean Worcester's Photographs, American National Identity, and National Geographic Magazine," The Australasian Journal of American Studies 31:2 (2012): 42-56.
- "Colonial Photography Across Empires and Islands," Journal of Transnational American Studies 3:2 (2011): 1-22.
- "Dean Worcester's Photographs and American Perceptions of the Philippines," Education About Asia 16:2 (2011): 29-33.
- "His Name Was Don Francisco Muro: Reconstructing an Image of American Imperialism,"American Quarterly 62:1 (2010): 49-76.
- "Arcadian Visions of the Past," Columbia Journal of American Studies 9 (2009): 7-26.
Awards and Honors
- 2007 Fulbright Senior Scholar in Vietnam, helping to establish an American Studies curriculum at Can Tho University.
- 2008 St. John Fisher College Trustees Award for Distinguished Scholarly Achievement, the highest award given by the College.