Vivek S. Dave
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Wegmans School of Pharmacy
Areas of Expertise
- Pharmaceutical dosage forms
Dr. Dave received his bachelor's degree in pharmacy with distinction from University of Pune, India in 2000, and a master's degree in pharmaceutical sciences from Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune, India in 2002.
After completion of his master’s degree, Dr. Dave joined Agharkar Research Institute, Pune, India as a junior research fellow. He was involved in a project related to the development and evaluation of anti-arthritis formulations. Later he worked with Lupin Pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd. as a research associate.
Dr. Dave pursued Ph.D. in pharmaceutics at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (2004-2009). During his Ph.D., Dr. Dave worked on several research projects including formulation of extended-release matrix tablets via roller-compaction, pre-formulation studies on common pharmaceutical excipients, near-infrared imaging studies to model properties of roller-compacted excipients; and chemometric analysis and development of prediction models with NIR spectroscopy for evaluating functional attributes of extended-release tablet matrices.
In 2009, Dr. Dave accepted a position at Lubrizol Corporation, a specialty chemical company manufacturing pharmaceutical excipients. His role at Lubrizol was to identify, plan, and execute research projects that contributed towards understanding and developing applications for Carbomer polymers in pharmaceutical dosage forms.
At the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Dr. Dave is the course coordinator and co-teaches Pharmaceutics-I. He also co-teaches Applied Pharmaceutics-II. His primary areas of research interests include excipient characterization (physical, chemical, and mechanical) and functionality, solubility enhancement, pre-formulation and formulation aspects of immediate- and extended-release oral solid dosage forms, and the use of Process Analytical Technology (PAT) based non-invasive analytical tools for the characterization of oral solid dosage forms.
Dr. Dave serves on the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, American Pharmaceutical Review, and Journal of Excipients and Food Chemicals. He also serves as an expert on the Excipient Monograph Committee of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). Dr. Dave is an invited peer reviewer for several scientific journals including Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. He is also a member of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), and Compaction Simulation Forum (CSF).
Over the years, he has been the recipient of several awards and recognitions including Rho-Chi Honor Society membership, Graduate Student of the Month, Best Poster Presentation, Teacher of the Year (2013), and multiple travel awards.
- Gupta, D., Yu, M., Nguyen, P., Varghese Gupta, S., and Dave, V.S., Current and evolving approaches for improving the oral permeability of BCS Class III or analogous molecules. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm., 2017. December 20, 2016.
- Telange, D.R., Patil, A.T., Pethe, A.M., Tatode, A.A., Anand, S., and Dave, V.S., Kaempferol-Phospholipid Complex: Formulation, and Evaluation of Improved Solubility, in vivo Bioavailability, and Antioxidant Potential of Kaempferol. Excipients and Food Chem., 2016. 7(4): p. 89-120.
- Telange, D.R., Patil, A.T., Pethe, A.M., Fegade, H., Anand, S., and Dave, V.S., Formulation and characterization of an apigenin-phospholipid phytosome (APLC) for improved solubility, in vivo bioavailability, and antioxidant potential. J. Pharm. Sci., 2016.
- Saoji, S.D., Raut, N.A., Dhore, P.W., Borkar, C.D., Popielarczyk, M., and Dave, V.S., Preparation and Evaluation of Phospholipid-Based Complex of Standardized Centella Extract (SCE) for the Enhanced Delivery of Phytoconstituents. AAPS J., 2016. 18(1): p. 102-14.
- Saoji, S.D., Dave, V.S., Dhore, P.W., Bobde, Y.S., Mack, C., Gupta, D., and Raut, N.A., The role of phospholipid as a solubility- and permeability-enhancing excipient for the improved delivery of the bioactive phytoconstituents of Bacopa monnieri. J. Pharm. Sci., 2016.
- Saoji, S.D., Belgamwar, V.S., Dharashivkar, S.S., Rode, A.A., Mack, C., and Dave, V.S., The Study of the Influence of Formulation and Process Variables on the Functional Attributes of Simvastatin–Phospholipid Complex. Pharm. Innov., 2016. 11(3): p. 264-278.
- Rarokar, N.R., Saoji, S.D., Raut, N.A., Taksande, J.B., Khedekar, P.B., and Dave, V.S., Nanostructured Cubosomes in a Thermoresponsive Depot System: An Alternative Approach for the Controlled Delivery of Docetaxel. AAPS PharmSciTech, 2016. 17(2): p. 436-45.
- Haware, R.V., Dave, V.S., Kakarala, B., Delaney, S., Staton, S., Munson, E., Gupta, M.R., and Stagner, W.C., Vegetable-derived magnesium stearate functionality evaluation by DM3 Eur. J. Pharm. Sci., 2016. 89: p. 115-124.
- Dhore, P.W., Dave, V.S., Saoji, S.D., Bobde, Y.S., Mack, C., and Raut, N.A., Enhancement of the aqueous solubility and permeability of a poorly water soluble drug ritonavir via lyophilized milk-based solid dispersions. Dev. Technol., 2016: p. 1-13.
- Dave, V.S., Popielarczyk, M., Boyce, H., Al-Achi, A., Ike-Amaechi, E., Hoag, S.W., and Haware, R.V., Lubricant-Sensitivity Assessment of SPRESS® B820 by Near-Infrared Spectroscopy: A Comparison of Multivariate Methods. Pharm. Sci., 2016.
- Saoji, S.D., Atram, S.C., Dhore, P.W., Deole, P.S., Raut, N.A., and Dave, V.S., Influence of the Component Excipients on the Quality and Functionality of a Transdermal Film Formulation. AAPS PharmSciTech, 2015. 16(6): p. 1344-56.
- Meng, F., Dave, V.S., and Chauhan, H., Qualitative and quantitative methods to determine miscibility in amorphous drug-polymer systems. J. Pharm. Sci., 2015. 77: p. 106-11.
- Dave, V.S., Saoji, S.D., Raut, N.A., and Haware, R.V., Excipient variability and its impact on dosage form functionality. Pharm. Sci., 2015. 104(3): p. 906-15.
- Dave, V.S., Haware, R.V., Sangave, N.A., Sayles, M., and Popielarczyk, M. Drug-Excipient Compatibility Studies in Formulation Development: Current Trends and Techniques. FDD Section Newsletter, 2015. 1, 9-15.
- Dave, V.S., Fahmy, R.M., and Hoag, S.W., Near-infrared spectroscopic analysis of the breaking force of extended-release matrix tablets prepared by roller-compaction: influence of plasticizer levels and sintering temperature. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm., 2015. 41(6): p. 898-905.
- Dave, V.S., Chanda, M., Sayles, M., Popielarczyk, M., Boyce, H., Bompelliwar, S.K., Bates, S., Morris, K.R., and Haware, R.V., Correlation of Structural and Macroscopic Properties of Starches with Their Tabletability Using the SM2 J. Pharm. Sci., 2015. 104(11): p. 3870-3882.
- Amidon, S., Brown, J.E., and Dave, V.S., Colon-targeted oral drug delivery systems: design trends and approaches. AAPS PharmSciTech, 2015. 16(4): p. 731-41.