First Generation Scholars Program
Since its founding in 1948, St. John Fisher College has enrolled a high percentage of first generation college students.
In honor of its 50th anniversary in 1998, the College renewed its commitment to today's first generation students by creating the Fannie & Sam Constantino First Generation Scholarship Program.
About the Fannie and Sam Constantino First Generation Program
The Fannie and Sam Constantino First Generation Scholarship Program is designed to provide financial and academic assistance to up to 24 qualified high school students who exhibit a high degree of motivation and academic potential and are the first in their immediate families to attend a postsecondary institution.
First Generation Scholars tutor, mentor, and coordinate leadership activities that impact youth. Scholars also organize group service events that benefit the Rochester community. Scholars are responsible for 30 hours per semester.
Students interested in becoming a First Generation Scholar must complete the First Generation Scholarship Application. The student must also apply to and be accepted by St. John Fisher College, as well as meeting the following criteria:
- The student must be the first generation in their family to attend a postsecondary institution.*
- High school seniors must be planning to enter Fisher directly after graduating.
- Able to meet the academic requirements for admission to Fisher.
- Recognized citizen-scholars in their high school community.
- Willing to mentor younger students to achieve academic excellence and to pursue a college education.
*Applicant's parent(s) or guardian may not have graduated from a two-year or four-year college or university. Siblings' attendance or graduation from a college program is permitted.
Questions may be directed to Sally Vaughan, director of community service at (585) 385-8196.
First Generation Activities and Events
- Adlai E. Stevenson School No. 29
- Better Day Buddies with Strong Memorial Hospital
- Catholic Family Center
- Church of the Transfiguration
- Homework Huddle with Camp Good Days
- Maplewood Library
- Nativity School
- Rochester International
- Science Olympiad
- St. John Neumann
- World School of Inquiry School No. 58
Other Community Service Opportunities
- American Heart Walk
- Camp Good Days and Special Times
- Compeer Events
- Day of Celebration
- Hillside Family of Agencies
- Make A Wish Foundation
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- March of Dimes Events
- Martin Luther King Day of Service
- National Kidney Foundation
- Pluta Cancer Center
- Project Community Convergence (PCC)
- Relay for Life
- Rochester Marathon
- Ronald McDonald House
- Seneca Park Zoo
- Special Olympics
- Students With A Vision (SWAV)
- Teddi Dance for Love
Current Student Information
Use the documents below to track your hours, see how many hours you've logged, and more.
First Generation Scholars Documents & Forms
- Senior Current Hours [pdf]
- Junior Current Hours [pdf]
- Sophomore Current Hours [pdf]
- Freshman Current Hours [pdf]
Class of 2017 Service, First Gen Scholars Do What They Do Best in 23,900 Hours
During their four years at St. John Fisher College, members of the Class of 2017 who were Service Scholars and First Generation Scholars logged more than 23,900 hours of community service at dozens of agencies and organizations in the Rochester area.Learn More About Class of 2017 Service