Internship Information for Students
Studies show that students with a strong GPA and one or more internships are far more likely to find meaningful work after graduation. Fisher provides a wealth of resources to help you take advantage of experiential learning opportunities during your undergraduate career.
All of the Schools at St. John Fisher College—Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Nursing, and Pharmacy—require or recommend appropriate internship or work engagements outside of the classroom.
Explore the opportunities available to you now and in the future:
- Semester-long internships - paid or unpaid, for-credit or not-for-credit
- Beginning in spring semester 2019:
- One-day "shadowing" experience at local companies or non-profit organizations
- Multi-day, project-based "externships" at companies or non-profit organizations, typically over winter and spring breaks
- Micro Internships
These short-term, paid, professional assignments are available throughout the year and allow you to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build your network as you seek the right full-time role.
Finding an Internship or Applied Work Experience
Internships of any sort are intended to be extensions of the classroom experience - applications of your studies in an appropriate work environment. As classroom experiences vary, so too will your internships.
- Talk to your faculty advisor, your department chair, or your School internship coordinator.
- Many programs and majors have particular eligibility requirements for their internships, so check the website for your major and then speak with the appropriate faculty director. All credit-bearing internships are managed within your School or department and upon successful completion will appear on your transcript.
- Talk with one of the advisors at the Center for Career and Academic Planning (CCAP).
- CCAP advisors have access to a range of search tools to help you find a work engagement that suits your schedule and program requirements.
- Create your Handshake account. Fisher is one of 700 schools across the country using Handshake for student employment and internship opportunities. Land a job or internship that sparks your unique interests.
Internships by School
The School of Arts and Sciences has opportunities for internships or applied work experiences in several programs. Use the links below to explore for each program.
- American Studies
- Computer Science
- Interactive Media
- Legal Studies
- Media and Communication
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Sport Management