Skip to content

Transfer Student Advising

One in three students at St. John Fisher College are transfer students. That's because at Fisher, we know how to make transferring easy and convenient for you.

Initial Appointment and Course Registration

After you deposit, you will be contacted by the Center for Career and Academic Planning (CCAP) to schedule an appointment. We are available to meet in person, or via phone or online appointments. In order to help your CCAP advisor prepare for your meeting, we ask that you complete the Course Preference form (as instructed through the online enrollment checklist), as soon as possible.

Note: If you are transferring as a clinical-ready student in the Wegmans School of Nursing, you will be contacted directly by that program.

You will receive the following during your initial advising appointment:

  • Identifying how many hours of transfer credit can be expected and how that transfer credit applies to your Fisher degree. View a 5-minute video tutorial that reviews a sample TCE.
  • Review of degree and graduation requirements.
  • Registration into courses.
  • Class schedule for the coming semester.
  • Contact information for your faculty advisor on FisherLink.
  • Tentative long-range plan projecting your course progression through graduation.
  • Important information about the academic calendar, transfer orientation, and billing, etc.

Transfer Orientation

We can’t wait to meet you and welcome you into the Fisher family. Transfer Orientation is a great time before classes to do just that! The program is designed to welcome you to the College; introduce you to the advising process; make you aware of important resources and activities; and review parking, dining services, Blackboard, and email access.

Notable Transfer Policies

As a transfer student, you should be aware of the following policies:

  • Up to 66 hours may be transferred from a two-year school.
  • At least 60 hours in transfer credit are awarded for the receipt of an associate degree - an official transcript indicating receipt of degree must be on record with the Registrar. Transcripts must be received from all schools attended.
  • Residency requirement:
    • A minimum of 30 graded credit hours must be taken at St. John Fisher College in order to earn a bachelor's degree. This requirement usually concerns students who have transferred in large amounts of credit, or students attending Fisher who have earned degrees elsewhere.
    • At least 30 of the final 36 credit hours must be earned in residence, unless waived in individual cases by the Committee on Academic Standing. This means that once you've begun the last 36 hours of a particular degree program, only 6 of those hours may be taken in transfer credit.
    • At least 1/2 of the coursework required by your major must be completed at Fisher.

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to questions about course registration, liberal arts requirements, and more.

How do I register for courses at Fisher?
  • Submit your deposit to Transfer Admissions to obtain access to the online enrollment checklist.
  • Upon eligibility for the upcoming semester, you will be contacted by the CCAP to schedule a registration appointment.
The classes that I need appear to be full. How am I going to get what I need?

Depending on your situation, additional seats may be available to you as a new transfer student. It's unlikely you would not be able to enroll in classes that you need. Your CCAP advisor will help you plan out all required coursework, paying attention to prerequisites and recommended course progressions. In most cases, you will be contacted ahead of time if an especially challenging issue arises in preparation for the appointment.

Some classes have a negative number of seats. Can I get on a waiting list?

If a class has a waitlist, the availability of a waitlist will be indicated when registering. Negative numbers of seats remaining usually indicate that seats are reserved for new students or that students in unique situations have been permitted by the instructor and department chair to enroll in a closed course.

Can I make changes to my schedule after my registration appointment?

Yes. An understanding of your Transfer Credit Evaluation, your tentative long range plan, and access to Fish 'R' Net are all you need to revise your schedule. We do recommend checking in with your advisor prior to making changes.

Do I have to attend Orientation?

We hope you do! At Orientation, you will hear from College officials; learn about various academic and student support services; review how to access your student information using Fish 'R' Net, FisherLink, Blackboard, and your Fisher email account; and take a quick tour of campus, including the library and other campus resources. While not required, it is strongly recommend that all transfer students do attend.

When do I meet my academic advisor?

Your initial registration appointment will be with a CCAP advisor specially trained to work with transfer students. You will be assigned a faculty advisor from your academic department at this appointment. While you need to meet with this faculty academic advisor to schedule future semesters, you should introduce yourself to them early in the semester.

I am a veteran. Who should I contact?

Thank you for your service and welcome to Fisher. Monica Gebhardt is the Veteran Services Coordinator. You can find her contact information on your Success Network in FisherLink. Visit the Veterans Benefits page for more information.

Can I be eligible for academic honors as a transfer student?

Yes, however, you must complete at least 60 credit hours at Fisher to be eligible for academic honors. This may mean not transferring all the courses you are eligible for to meet this requirement. Please talk to a CCAP advisor about your eligibility. Details are available in the Undergraduate Catalog.