If you are not currently enrolled in a degree program at St. John Fisher College, you may be able to take classes as a non-matriculated student.
Registration is on a space available basis, for either audit or credit enrollment, after the designated registration period for continuing matriculated students. Non-matriculated students do not receive an academic advisor and are not eligible for financial aid.
Certain courses may have prerequisites or may be restricted to upper-level degree candidates. Proof of prerequisite completion or permission from the instructor may be required.
Students who are inadmissible to the College or who are academically dismissed from Fisher or any other college may not audit or enroll in non-matriculated status.
Requirements for Non-matriculated Students
Non-matriculated students taking a course for credit:
- Must provide college transcripts, proof of high school graduation or a completed GED, whichever is most recent.
- Must present transcripts for courses requiring prerequisites.
- Are not admitted or accepted to Fisher as matriculated students.
- May take a maximum 12 credit hours (4 courses) in non-matriculated status, and no more than 11 credits in any one semester.
- Are not eligible for financial aid through the College.
Auditing a Course
In addition to the guidelines above, to audit a course you must meet with the instructor prior to registration for permission and agreement about the nature of your participation in the course and assignments. The instructor will sign the Undergraduate Non-matriculated Form. The cost of auditing a course is the same as taking a course for credit.
Courses which require ongoing, active participation in the work of the course, such as Independent Study and Foreign Language, are not open for audit. Exceptions must be approved by the provost or designee.
Dates for non-matriculated student registration usually abide by the following guidelines:
- Fall Semester - Two weeks before fall semester begins
- Spring Semester - One week before spring semester begins
- Summer - Two weeks after continuing students may register
See the Registration Information page for specific dates.
Registering as a Non-matriculated Student
Follow the below process to register for undergraduate classes as a non-matriculated student. Note: Registration for graduate level courses is handled through Graduate Admissions.
- Identify the undergraduate class(es) you wish to take. See Course Offerings for details. If you are looking for summer online classes only, view the Summer at Fisher page.
- Be sure seats are available and you meet any required prerequisites.
- Submit the Undergraduate Non-matriculated Form [pdf] to the Center for Career and Academic Planning located in Lavery Library, either in person, by phone (585) 385-8050, or via email to email@example.com.
- Provide official/unofficial college transcripts, proof of high school graduation or GED, whichever is most recent, and proof of any required prerequisites.
- Your bill will be mailed to the address you provide on the form. Tuition and fee(s) are due 14 business days from the date of your registration, at the current rate per credit hour for part-time undergraduate students.
Questions about non-matriculated course registration? Contact us at (585) 385-8050.