Choosing a Major (Undecided)
Choosing a major can seem like a daunting task. But it doesn't have to be. Let us help!
Are You Undecided/Undeclared?
Struggling to choose a major/minor? Ask yourself the following:
- Why am I in college?
- Which courses do I find interesting and enjoy studying?
- In which courses am I most successful?
- What jobs have I had that I've enjoyed?
- What kind of work do I find fulfilling (i.e. helping others, problem solving, being creative, leading groups, working alone, being part of a team, meeting deadlines, setting my own schedule, etc.)?
- Which majors/minors/concentrations complement my interests and abilities? Which programs complement one another?
If you're having trouble answering these questions, you need to do some work! Check out the resources below for more help.
Research Academic Programs
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations - explore options at Fisher.
- Wondering what you can do with your degree? View "What Can I Do With This Major..."
Research Career Information
- Career Counseling - let the Career Center help you narrow your options based on your strengths and interests.
- Career Checklists - what you should do each year of college.
- Job and Industry Resource Links - an extensive list of job search sites and resources.
- Networking FAQs - why network, who to network with, questions to ask, and more.
Learn About Yourself
- Meet with a career counselor in the Career Center.
- Get experience! Work. Volunteer. Intern. Network. Learn about yourself and your options through direct experience.
Still Need Help?
Schedule an Appointment
If you still need help after reviewing the information on this page, schedule an appointment with an academic counselor by calling (585) 385-8034.
Come to your appointment prepared!
- Print out your academic transcript and review it for themes: strengths, weaknesses, concentrations of coursework, etc.
- Bring a list of questions to ask the counselor.
Still undecided or unsure if you're in the best program for you? Formally declare "undecided" by filling out an Academic Program Change Request and then check your email for notifications of the changes.