Pharmacy Preceptor Requirements
The profession of pharmacy relies heavily on practicing pharmacists to instill the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values into the next generation of pharmacists.
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) mandates that pharmacy schools screen preceptors and sites to ensure quality education. An initial part of that screening process is this application. We have tried to add enough detail in the application to allow us to have some insight into your practice without making the application process too cumbersome.
Wegmans School of Pharmacy requires the following of all preceptors:
- At least one (1) year of full-time pharmacy practice experience or experience in current position for non-patient care elective rotations and Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience I and II. For acute general medicine or a pharmacy specialty elective (cardiology, infectious disease, etc.), the preceptor will need to have at least two (2) years of experience or advanced training such as residency or fellowship.
- Licensed and in good standing with a Board of Pharmacy. For elective rotations without patient care responsibilities, the organization should be licensed (or accredited) and in good standing with national, state or local regulatory bodies.
- Willingness to be a mentor and teach students.
- Willingness to assist student in achieving objectives of rotation.
- Willingness to assess student performance.
- Willingness to be assessed by students as a CQI principle.
Become a Preceptor
Interested individuals must submit the following documents:
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Completed Preceptor Application Form
ACPE Guidelines for Rotation Sites and Preceptors
In addition, ACPE has released its Revised Pharm.D. Accreditation Standards and Guidelines, including guidelines for rotations, practice experiences, and preceptors. Section 28.3 of these standards lists characteristics that sites (and preceptors) should possess before accepting pharmacy students.
ACPE Accreditation Standards Section 28.3
The college or school must identify a diverse mixture of sites for required and elective pharmacy practice experiences. In general, each site used for required pharmacy practice experiences should have the following characteristics:
- Meets or exceeds all legal and professional standards required to provide patient care
- Has a patient population that exhibits diversity in culture, medical conditions, gender, and age, where appropriate
- Has an adequate patient population based on the learning objectives for the rotation
- Has access to learning and information resources
- Has management that is supportive of professional staff involvement in the education of pharmacy students
- Has a practice environment that nurtures and supports pharmacist and student interactions with patients
- Provides daily contact with the preceptor or a qualified designee to ensure that students receive feedback and have opportunities to ask questions
- Is adequately equipped with the technology needed to support student training and to reflect contemporary practice
- Provides medication therapy management and patient care services for diverse populations
- Has adequate professional staff and supportive technical and clerical staff to meet the learning objectives and to provide for optimum time for preceptor and student interaction
- Provides educational workshops for patients and other health care providers
- Serves as an accredited site for training of pharmacy residents
- Has collaborative professional and/or training relationships with other health care providers
Thank you for your interest in becoming a preceptor at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College. We look forward to working with you as together we help shape the future of our profession!
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Keith DelMonte, Pharm.D., Director
Office of Experiential Education
Wegmans School of Pharmacy
St. John Fisher College
3690 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
Phone: (585) 385-5243
Fax: (585) 385-8453