School of Nursing Mission, Goals, and Curricular Elements
Professional nursing education at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate of nursing practice level requires discipline to meet and exceed professional standards; knowledge of liberal arts and sciences as well as theories and models that guide scholarly practice; and goodness in the sense of commitment to meeting societal nursing needs for diverse populations through accountable practice.
The Wegmans School of Nursing is dedicated to graduating baccalaureate, advanced practice nurses, and doctoral-level clinicians, who will provide expert, compassionate, ethical care, and be leaders in nursing and health care environments. To promote an internalized standard of excellence in nursing practice, the School of Nursing fosters academic and clinical practice environments for students that provide the opportunity for students and faculty to engage in:
- Active involvement in the quest for knowledge
- Professional competence
- Collaborative relationships
- Ongoing personal growth
- Flexibility and openness to change
- Effective communication
- Modeling of professional behaviors
- Community involvement
- To prepare baccalaureate, advanced practice, and doctoral-level clinicians.
- To provide educational models that are sensitive to the needs of a diverse student body.
- To participate in local, state, national, and global health care and nursing education policy development and implementation in professional and civic venues.
- To provide a supportive, collegial environment that encourages excellence in teaching-learning, professional development, and faculty/student scholarship.
- To improve clinical practice outcomes, health policy, and care delivery methodologies.
The Wegmans School of Nursing's eight curricular elements, developed by the faculty, in concert with the College-wide Learning Goals, shape the curricula and evaluation methods, and establish the desired outcomes for the undergraduate and graduate programs.
The curricular elements include:
- Professional Values
- Life-long Learning