Ph.D., M.S., University of Pittsburgh
B.A., Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Lauren Vicker offers classes in interviewing, public speaking, and group dynamics, and teaches a presentation course in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy. She also specializes in helping students with career preparation by serving as the media and communication department's internship director.
Dr. Vicker's current research interests involve engaging students in internships and co-curricular activities for career preparation, with a particular emphasis on transfer students. Her research in this area has earned two awards at national conferences.
The co-author of three books - one on business communication, a textbook on applied mass communication theory, and an academic search manual - Dr. Vicker can occasionally be seen on educational access television conducting interviews with prominent Fisher faculty and administrators. However, she prefers to let her students have the on-camera experiences.
Publications and Presentations
- Vicker, L. "Engaging Students in Internships and Co-curricular Activities" (in progress).
- Vicker, L. “Entering the Game at Halftime: Engaging Transfer Students in Internships and Co-curricular activities.” Presented at “AEJMC Global Bridges” conference, August 8, 2015.
- "Verbal Communication Workshop for Self-Identified P3 Pharmacy Students: A Model for Successful Collaboration with a Communications Department.” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, July 2012.
- Rosenberry, J. and L. Vicker. Applied Mass Communication: A Guide for Media Practitioners. Abingdon, Oxon, UK: Routledge, 2008.
- Vicker, L. and H.J. Royer. The Complete Academic Search Manual: A Systematic Approach to Successful and Inclusive Hiring. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, 2006.