Hooding Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Graduates
Each year, the Wegmans School of Nursing holds a recognition and hooding ceremony to honor graduates of its programs. From undergraduate seniors to doctoral candidates, the event, which was held on Thursday, May 11, is the chance for the School to award students for success in and out of the classroom and thank faculty, staff, and community partners for their role in the education of program participants.
In addition to celebrating student success, the event incorporates several long-held traditions, including a bag pipe led procession and a candle lighting ceremony. Students light a candle and recite the Nightingale Pledge, a modified version of the Hippocratic Oath named in honor of Florence Nightingale.
Undergraduate nursing awards:
- Highest Undergraduate GPA: Alexa Bill, Lindsey Michaud
- Clara H. Wagner Nursing Award: Marisa Castelli, Julie Dykstra, Alexandra Intini, Selma Osmancevic, Jennifer Trainor
- Highest RN/BSN GPA: Sarah Gray, Lisa Pilato, Kelli Van Ornam
- RN/BSN Professional Practice Award: Nicole Riemer, Mary Young, Lori McCandless
- Leadership Award: Alexa Bill, Sarah Rosenthal, Megan Elizabeth Sechrist, Chelsea Sedlak, Larisa Serhatlic
- GVNA-Nursing Student Leadership Award: Chelsea Sedlak
- ANA Future Nurse Leader Award: Lindsey Michaud
- Glover-Crask Simulation Center Experiential Learning Award: Maria Daniels, Jenna Puglia
- Nursing Honors Students: Jessica Baird, Susan Bartenslager, Kristen Furey, Corey Gaffney, Maggie Wilk
Advanced practice nursing master’s program awards:
- Scholarly Achievement Award, FNP: Lisa Bonnlander, Kara Marlinski, Alexa Tinsley
- Scholarly Achievement Award, CNS: Xiaomei Chen, Rosemary Soriano
- Outstanding CNS Award: Meghan Ficarra, Elizabeth Schafer
- Outstanding FNP Award: Karilynn Cervini, Lauren Clark, Lewis LoQuasto, Alexa Tinsley, Diane Verstraete
Mental health counseling master’s program awards:
- Kastberg Scholarly Achievement Award: Lisa Manioci
- Bufano Counselor Excellence Award: Brianna Daniels
Doctor of nursing practice awards:
- Academic Excellence Award: Carrie Tram, Lindsay Stone
- Clinical Practice Scholarship Award: Rachel Miller
Meg Reddy, a clinical nurse educator at Highland Hospital, was given the Clinical Instructor Award. A long-time clinical instructor for Fisher, Reddy was recognized for being a true role model for the senior-level nursing students and demonstrating a vested interest in nurturing the students to achieve success.
Kim Avery, early care and education specialist at the Children’s Institute, was given the Community Partnership Award. Avery, who serves as the senior project coordinator with Project GROW, a component of the ROC the Future initiative, was praised for her work with nursing students in the Care of Children course.
Dr. Natalie Masco was given the Daisy Foundation Faculty Award.