Strategic Communication Program Requirements
The 18-credit-hour strategic communication minor consists of three required courses and nine credits of electives chosen from a slate of communication courses.
Minor in Strategic Communication
A grade point average of 2.00 is required for all courses taken in residence that may be applied to the data science minor.
Required Courses - 9 credits
- COMM 270 - Introduction to Public Relations (3)
- COMM 281 - Introduction to Advertising (3)
- COMM 349 - Media Management & Economics (3)
Electives - 9 credits
Choose nine credits from the list below.
- COMM 250 - Speech Comm (3) –OR–
COMM 353 - Public Speaking (3)
- COMM 253 - Business Communication (3)
- COMM 267 - Social Media Management (3)
- COMM 272 - PRIMA Practicum (1)
- COMM 346 - Media Law and Ethics (3)
- COMM/PSYC 352 - Group Dynamics (3)
- COMM 363 - Media Research & Analytics (3)
- COMM 372 - Public Relations Case Studies (3)
- COMM 374 - Nonprofit Management (3)
- COMM/SPST 375 - Sport and Social Media (3)
- COMM 376 - PR Writing (3)
- COMM 377 - Media Relations (3)
- COMM 381 - Ad Portfolio Development (3)
- COMM 383 - Creative Ad Writing (3)
- COMM 445 - Advanced Media Management Research (3)
- COMM 448 - Bateman Practicum (1)
- COMM 449 - Media Entrepreneurship (3)
- COMM 472 - PR Research and Planning (3)
- COMM 481 - Advertising Strategy and Production (3)
- DIGC 245 - SQ Visualizing Data (3)
Total: 18 credits
Note: In general, only one course applied to a student’s major may also be used to satisfy a requirement in the strategic communication minor. However, marketing majors who are strategic communication minors may overlap COMM 253 and COMM 270 if COMM 270 is chosen as a marketing elective option in the major.
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.