Nursing Clinical Year Application
To begin your junior clinical year, you must apply online to the Wegmans School of Nursing for admission.
Online applications are due February 1 for St. John Fisher College preferred placement students (students accepted as first-semester freshman nursing majors from high school), and March 1 for all competitive pool students (St. John Fisher College students who changed their major to nursing after admission, and all transfer students including 2+2 students from designated community colleges).
Online applications are due June 15 for St. John Fisher College preferred placement students (students accepted as first-semester freshman nursing majors from high school), and July 1 for all competitive pool students (St. John Fisher College students who changed their major to nursing after admission, and all transfer students including 2+2 students from designated community colleges).
Required Application Materials
A completed application ready for review includes the following:
- Online application
- A score of 84% or higher in Level A Math Screening Test
- Personal statement uploaded to the online application
Online applications can be submitted before all seven science prerequisites and ethics are done, but a plan needs to be in place to complete all the prerequisites for the nursing major by the beginning of the clinical semester.
Applications submitted after the deadlines are processed as received, and admission is on a space-available basis.
Admissions Decision Criteria
The following criteria will be used to make a decision on every applicant:
- Scholastic Ability: Minimum 2.75 overall GPA (calculated on all undergraduate course work completed at all colleges); a "C" or higher in the required pre-nursing courses and a prerequisite GPA of 2.4 or higher including all attempts at these seven courses: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Nutrition, Statistics, and Development Across the Lifespan. Ethics must also be completed prior to the start of the clinical year program.
- Mathematics Screening Test: You may take the Mathematics Screening Test up to two (2) times to achieve the required score of 84%. You are encouraged to meet this requirement early in your preclinical experience so that remediation can be obtained if required. Learn more about what to expect with the screening test.
- Submission of Application to Begin Clinical Year to the School of Nursing
- Nursing clinical year application for current students
- Nursing clinical year application for transfer students - available through the admissions portal after acceptance into St. John Fisher College
- Student essay/personal statement a short (1-2 page) well-developed essay, which speaks to your specific professional plans and career objectives.
- The date that the completed application was received by the Wegmans School of Nursing.
After you have been accepted into the junior clinical year, the following items are due and should be uploaded to the Health and Wellness Center Patient Portal (see a link to instructions below). No paper copies of compliance items will be accepted by the Wegmans School of Nursing or the Health and Wellness Center:
- Health Status and Immunizations: Documentation of immunizations and a physical (dated no more than six months prior to starting clinical) on the Health History Form submitted to the Wegmans School of Nursing by July 15 (for fall admission) or October 15 (for spring admission) of the junior clinical year.
- CPR Certification: A current Basic Life Support (including infant, child, and adult CPR) certification card from the American Heart Association on file in the School of Nursing office by July 15 (for fall admission) or October 15 (for spring admission) of the junior clinical year.
Refer to the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) Requirements for Clinical Compliance page for more information.