Media Management Program Requirements
Requirements in the media management program include a series of fundamental courses in both communication and business principles; a set of "extension" courses allowing for more in-depth exploration of specific areas; and a capstone sequence.
B.S. Media Management
For students majoring in media management, all required and elective courses are included in the determination of the grade point average in the major. A minimum of 33 major credits must be taken in residence at St. John Fisher College.
Unless otherwise noted, courses are all three credits.
Communication Fundamentals - 25 credits
- COMM 100 - Introduction to Mass Communication
- Choose ONE:
- COMM 250 - Speech Communication
- COMM 353 - Public Speaking
- COMM 253 - Business Communication
- COMM 267 - Social Media Management
- COMM 270 - Introduction to Public Relations
- COMM 281 - Introduction to Advertising
- COMM 295 - Multimedia Writing
- COMM 322 - COMM Careers Seminar (1)
- COMM 376 - PR Writing
Business Fundamentals - 12 credits
- COMM 349 - Media Management & Economics
- COMM 363 - Media Research and Analytics
- MKTG 221 - Marketing Principles
- MKTG 324 - Marketing Research
Statistics Course - 3 credits
Choose ONE course from the following group.
- STAT 160 - P4 Introduction to Data Science
- ECON 221 - SQ Statistics I
Advanced Communication and Marketing Courses - 12 credits
Choose twelve credits* from the following group.
- COMM 201 - Communication Theory and Research
- COMM 272 - PRIMA Practicum (1)
- COMM 301 - Journalism I: Newswriting & Reporting
- COMM 319 - Design II
- COMM 346 - Media Law
- COMM/PSYC 352 - Group Dynamics
- COMM 372 - PR Case Studies
- COMM 374 - Nonprofit Management
- COMM/SPST 375 - Sport and Social Media
- COMM 377 - Media Relations
- COMM 381 - Ad Portfolio Development
- COMM 383 - Creative Ad Writing
- COMM 445 - Advanced Media Management Research
- COMM 448 - Bateman Practicum (1)
- COMM 449 - Media Entrepreneurship
- COMM 481 - Advertising Strategy and Production
- COMM 490 - Internship**
- DIGC 245 - SQ Visualizing Data
- MKTG 327 - Buyer Behavior
- MKTG 344 - Personal Selling
- MKTG 414 - International Marketing
- MKTG 418 - Marketing Channels and Strategic Partnerships
- MKTG 426 - Marketing Strategy
- STAT 345 - Exploratory Data Analysis
Visual Design Courses - 6 credits
- COMM 231 - Video Storytelling
- Choose ONE:
- COMM 219 - Design I
- COMM 269 - Web Design
Capstone Sequence - 9 credits
- COMM 472 - Advanced PR Programs and Management
- COMM 486 - Portfolio Review (.5)
- One additional COMM elective at 300-level or above or above. COMM 490 - Internship may fulfill this requirement.**
Total: 64.5 credits
*No more than four marketing courses total may be taken for the major and no more than two MKTG courses may be taken to satisfy the advanced communication and marketing course requirement.
**COMM 490 - Internship may be taken twice; one time taken to fulfill the 300+ course requirement in the capstone sequence and a second time to meet an advanced elective.
Note: Students working toward a B.S. in media management are not eligible to earn a minor in marketing or any minors within the Department of Media and Communication. Majors may however, minor in digital cultures and technologies.
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.