Journalism Program Requirements
The journalism minor consists of 18 credit hours: 9 credits of writing intensive instruction, and 9 elective credits chosen from a selection of communications courses.
Minor in Journalism
A grade point average of 2.00 is required of courses taken in residence in the minor.
Required Journalism Courses - 9 credits
- COMM 295 - Multimedia Journalism (3)
- Choose TWO courses from the following group:
- COMM 301 - Emergent Journalism (3)
- COMM 302 - Community Journalism (3)
- COMM 308 - Enterprise Journalism (3)
Electives - 9 credits
Choose THREE courses from the following group:
(If all three COMM courses are taken from the listing above, the student will only need to take two elective courses.)
- COMM 304 - Magazine Writing (3)
- COMM 305 - News Editing (3)
- COMM 308 - Feature Writing (3)
- COMM 310 - Sports Journalism (3)
- COMM 325 - Sports Production (3)*
- COMM 336 - Photo II: Media & Documentary (3)*
- COMM 346 - Media Law and Ethics (3)
- COMM 354 - Interviewing (3)
- COMM 361 - Documentary Production (3)*
- COMM 362 - Interactive Media Design (3)*
- COMM 365 - Broadcast Journalism (3)*
- COMM 487 - Senior Project (with journalism focus) (3)
Total: 18 credits
*Students may petition the chair of the department to count as an elective at most one of the prerequisites for these four courses, which include COMM 231 - Video Storytelling, COMM 236 - Photo I, and COMM 269 - Web Design.
Note: Only one course applied to a student’s major may also be used to satisfy a requirement in the journalism minor.
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.