Journalism Program Requirements
The journalism minor consists of 18 credit hours: 9 credits of writing intensive instruction, and 9 elective credits chosen from a selection of communications courses.
Only one course applied to a student’s major may also be used to satisfy a requirement in the journalism minor. A grade point average of 2.00 is required of courses taken in residence in the minor.
Required Journalism Courses - 9 credits
- COMM 295 - Multimedia Writing
- COMM 301 - Journalism I: Newswriting & Reporting
- COMM 302 - Journalism II: Advanced Newswriting & Reporting
Electives - 9 credits
Choose THREE courses from the following group.
- COMM 304 - Magazine Writing
- COMM 305 - News Editing
- COMM 308 - Feature Writing
- COMM 310 - Sports Reporting
- COMM 314 - News Practicum
- COMM 325 - Sports Production*
- COMM 336 - Photo II: Media & Documentary*
- COMM 361 - Documentary Production*
- COMM 362 - Interactive Media Design*
- COMM 365 - Broadcast Journalism*
- COMM 487 - Senior Project (with journalism focus)
Total: 18 credits
*Students may petition the chair of the department to count as an elective at most one of the prerequisites for these four courses, which include COMM 231 - Video Storytelling, COMM 236 - Photo I, and COMM 269 - Web Design.
Note: The information here is provided for informational purposes only. For exact requirements as well as course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.