Skip to content

Graduate Admissions FAQs

Get answers to all your questions about graduate study at Fisher, including application procedures, transfer credits, deferral, and readmission.

Applying for Graduate Programs

Get details on the graduate application process, deadlines, submitting transcripts, and more.

How do I apply to St. John Fisher College?

The graduate application procedures page contains all the information you'll need to apply for graduate study at St. John Fisher College.

When are the application deadlines?

All programs review applications on a rolling admissions basis. Contact the Office of Transfer and Graduate Admissions at (585) 385-8064 or for specific start dates.

How do I find out the status of my application?

The program director and admissions committee for most programs will typically make a decision within four weeks of your application. Some programs, such as nursing programs, make take longer than four weeks for a decision to be made. Please call or email the Office of Graduate Admissions at if you are concerned about the status of your graduate application.

Do I have to send transcripts for every college-level class I have taken?

Yes, official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work must be submitted with your application.

How many copies of each official transcript should I send?

St. John Fisher College only requires one official copy from each institution.

What should I write in my personal statement?

The Admissions Committee values a well-developed personal statement that speaks to your specific professional plans and career objectives. The quality of your statement is an indication of your ability to express thoughts coherently. View this essay as an opportunity to analyze past professional developments and consider anticipated future contributions as a result of graduate education.

What should my recommendations include?

The recommendations should evaluate your capacity to undertake a rigorous academic program as well as address your leadership ability as the person giving references sees it.

If you are a current student or recent graduate, you must submit at least one recommendation from a college instructor. If you are currently working, you should submit at least one recommendation from a supervisor. The person making the recommendation should have knowledge of the requirements of graduate-level work.

You will have the opportunity to forward a link to your recommenders through the online application process.

Transfer Credits, Deferral, and Readmission

Learn the ins and outs of credit transfer, deferring admissions, and more.

Does Fisher accept transfer credit from other graduate schools?

Please contact graduate admissions or the graduate program chair regarding the process to request graduate transfer credit.

May I defer my acceptance to another semester?

If you have been admitted but wish to delay your entrance, you may do so for one semester by contacting the Office of Graduate Admissions. If you do not request a deferral, you will have to apply for readmission with the Office of Graduate Admissions.

What do I need to do to return to graduate school after an absence?

Readmission is required for any graduate student who did not register at St. John Fisher College for more than one calendar year or was accepted but did not enroll or update his or her application status. When applying for readmission, the program director may require the student to meet any new requirements for the degree. Please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for a readmission packet at (585) 385-8064 or

The process for readmission is listed below:

  • Submit a new application along with an updated resume and personal statement to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • Request any official transcripts from the Registrar's office of each college and/or university that you attended since you first applied or attended St. John Fisher College. The transcripts are to be attached to the readmission form.

Once the application is received in the Office of Graduate Admissions, it will be forwarded on to the program director. Readmission applicants may be required to meet with the program director to discuss educational goals and their decision to return to St. John Fisher College.

About Graduate Programs at Fisher

Find out more about the graduate programs at St. John Fisher College.

Where can I get more information about Fisher's graduate programs?

The Graduate Programs page has a list of all degree programs offered at St. John Fisher College, as well as links to the department websites.

When are graduate courses offered?

Graduate courses are offered in a flexible format designed with the working professional in mind. Most classes are offered on the weekend and in the evening, along with a few classes scheduled during the day. Refer to each department website to learn the different formats and course schedules for each program.

Detailed course schedule information can be found on the Course Schedule page.

How do I take a class as a non-matriculated student?

If you are interested in taking a non-matriculated course, you must first contact the Office of Graduate Admissions. You will be asked to submit a transcript from the undergraduate institution indicating a completion of a bachelor's degree as well as complete a non-matriculated acceptance form. The program director must also grant permission in order for you to take any non-matriculated course. Non-matriculated status does not indicate acceptance into a graduate program at Fisher. You may only be in non-matriculated status for one semester and enroll in no more than six credits.

Please keep in mind that some programs do not allow non-matriculated students to take classes. Please contact graduate admissions for specific programs information at

Can I schedule an appointment to meet with a graduate admissions counselor?

Yes! Scheduling an appointment with a graduate counselor is a great opportunity for you to become better acquainted with the program you are interested in as well as the application process. Check out all of our upcoming visit opportunities for more information.

Can out-of-state students participate in online graduate programs?
NC-SARA Approved Institution

St. John Fisher College has been approved by New York State to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Because Fisher has been approved to participate in NC-SARA, we can offer our distance education programs to students in other NC-SARA member states. For a list of NC-SARA member states and additional information about SARA visit