What to Bring to Fisher
You are encouraged to talk to your roommate(s) and plan what to bring together. No room needs 3 TVs, 3 microwaves and 3 refrigerators! Also pack with this in mind:
Fire Hazards: All electrical appliances used for cooking food are prohibited in residence hall rooms. All other appliances such as irons, hair dryers, TVs, radios, etc. should be used with caution. In addition, all appliances, extension bar outlets and electrical hook-ups must have a UL approved label attached. The College makes periodic fire/safety inspections of all rooms during the year and reserves the right to remove all items considered to be a fire hazard. New York State codes prohibit cooking in residence hall rooms, fastening any combustible material to any ceilings, or covering any fire alarm equipment in the residence hall rooms.
Rule of Thumb about Fire Safety and Appliances: If it has an exposed heating element ("George Foreman Grills," toasters, hotplates, etc.), it is prohibited in the residence halls.
Pets: Pets (except for fish) are not allowed in the residence halls. 10 gallon tanks are the maximum.
Laundry: Washers and dryers are free at Fisher; no need to bring quarters!
Cleaning Supplies: You are responsible for cleaning everything behind your locked door. Fisher staff cleans the common areas of the residence halls. Please bring cleaning supplies and a vacuum.
Property Insurance: The College assumes no responsibility for any damage to, or loss of, your personal property. You should obtain appropriate insurance either through your families' homeowner policy or separate renter's insurance policy. You can find information about property insurance from your insurance provider or search online under "student property insurance."
- Trash/recycle containers
- Desk light (non-halogen)
- Memo/message board
- Can opener (handheld)
- Microwave (0.7 cubic ft. or smaller)
- Refrigerator (Size: no greater than 3.2 cubic feet and power consumption: no greater than 1.5 amp.)
- Coffee maker or Keurig
- Small fan
- Power strip (UL Approved)
- Silverware, dishes
- Dish cloth, dish soap
- Laundry essentials (detergent, softener, bag or basket)
- Medical Insurance (more information)
- Personal Property Insurance (see above)
- Twin extra long bedding (all beds are 80”) and pillow
- Alarm clock
- Shower shoes
- Bucket to hold bathroom supplies
- Aspirin, Band-Aids, cough drops, etc.
- Paper towels
- Glue, tape, stapler, paper clips, post-it notes
- Blue painter's tape to hang posters
- Cleaning supplies for your room (and your bathroom unless you are assigned to Murphy Hall or Michaelhouse)
- Cable cord
- Ethernet cord (optional, Wi-Fi is available)
- Weapons of any kind or anything that can be mistaken for a weapon, including KNIVES
- Any fire hazard including INCENSE and CANDLES
- Hot plates, grills, toasters, toaster ovens, electric frying pans, or any cooking appliance (a coffee maker or Keurig is permitted)
- Halogen lamps, medusa/multi-head lamps with plastic shades & neon signs
- Extension cords
- Amplified musical instruments, drums, or amplifiers
- Area rugs (all rooms are carpeted)
- Toilet paper (we provide it in both community and private bathrooms)
- Shower curtains (we provide it in both community and private bathrooms)
- Electric or fuel portable heaters
- Pets other than fish
- Bed risers/cinder blocks
- Your car if you are going to be a freshman. Parking questions?