The following objects are among the items that are prohibited. This is not an exhaustive list. If you have a question about an appliance or item not listed here, please contact the Campus Fire Marshall at (585) 899-3833.
More information can be found on the Fire Safety page of the Campus Safety & Security website.
- Any device with an open flame (candles, Bunsen Burners, etc.) | Examples of prohibited open flame devices [pdf]
- Incense | Examples of prohibited incense [pdf]
- Halogen lamps, neon signs, or medusa/multi-head lamps with plastic shades | Examples of prohibited lamps/signs [pdf]
- Heat activated or plug-in type air fresheners | Examples of prohibited air fresheners [pdf]
- Extension cords and multi-plug adapters. UL-listed power strips with a circuit breaker are permitted. No more than one strip can be used per outlet. Power strips should not pose a safety hazard.| Examples of prohibited extension cords/adapters [pdf] | Examples of approved power strips [pdf]
- Any material such as flags, sheets, posters, or netting fastened to or covering the ceiling lights, smoke detectors or sprinkler heads. Any item hanging on a wall must be a minimum of 18 inches from the ceiling.
- Torn or ripped chairs, couches, or furniture
- Rugs, carpets, or curtains unless they are flame resistant and labeled as such. (The College has flame-resistant curtains, carpets, mattresses, and furniture in all residence hall rooms.)
- Natural (potted or fresh cut) decorations (examples include pine decorations, leaves, cornstalks, etc.) | Examples of prohibited natural decorations [pdf]
- Electric or fuel portable heaters and air conditioners | Examples of prohibited heaters/air conditioners [pdf]
- All electrical appliances used for cooking food, including hot plates, indoor grills, toasters, toaster ovens, or electric frying pans, etc. | Examples of prohibited electrical appliances [pdf]
- Personal items, objects and furniture impeding emergency egress