The following objects are among the items that are prohibited. This is not an exhaustive list. If you have a question about an appliance or item not listed here, please contact the Campus Fire Marshall at (585) 899-3833.
More information can be found on the Fire Safety page of the Campus Safety & Security website.
- Any device with an open flame (candles, Bunsen Burners, etc.)
- Halogen lamps, neon signs, or medusa/multi-head lamps with plastic shades
- Heat-activated or plug-in type air fresheners
- Extension cords (UL approved power strips in good condition with a fuse or breaker are permitted)
- Any material such as flags, sheets, posters, or netting fastened to or covering the ceiling lights, smoke detectors or sprinkler heads. Per NY Fire Code, any item hanging on a wall must be a minimum of 18 inches from the ceiling.
- Torn or ripped chairs, couches, or furniture
- Neon signs
- Electric or fuel portable heaters
- Rugs, carpets, or curtains unless they are noncombustible or flame resistant and labeled as such. (The campus has flame-resistant curtains, carpets, mattresses, and furniture in all Residence Hall rooms.)
- Natural (potted or fresh cut) decorations (examples include pine decorations, leaves, cornstalks, etc.).
- All electrical appliances used for cooking food, including hot plates, indoor grills, toasters, toaster ovens, or electric frying pans, etc.