Orientation Information for First-Year Students
Want to get a feel for what Orientation is like? Check out last year's event through our Facebook photo album!
Fisher's Orientation program, Saturday, August 31 through Monday, September 2, 2013, is designed to help you make a smooth transition to college. You'll learn about campus life, student activities, academic expectations, campus facilities, and support services, and make lots of new friends! In short, Orientation is the most significant community-building activity you can take part in at Fisher. Current Fisher students serve as "Orientation Leaders" and are anxious to meet you.
Orientation is required for all new full-time Fisher students, both commuters and residents. It's a fun-filled time for you to become acquainted with the College and to take part in activities with your new classmates, many of whom are destined to become your close friends for life.
New Students: Residential and Commuter
If you are a resident student, plan to arrive on campus on Saturday, August 31, at your assigned time. Information regarding residence hall check in will be sent via your SJFC email in early August. You will receive your Fisher I.D. and room key at that time.
If you are a commuter student, you should plan to arrive on Saturday, August 31, between 11:00 a.m. and noon. See below for information regarding commuter check in.
Everyone receives an orientation packet plus a welcome from various campus offices and student clubs.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Campus Life at (585) 385-8005 or email@example.com.
Reminders for First-Year Students
- Begin using your Fisher Gmail (email) account. This is the primary way to be in contact with your faculty advisor, course instructors, and other students. Please note that your Fisher Gmail account is the primary source of communication for announcements and special notices from the College.
- Student Gmail Instructions
- Questions regarding your email account can be directed to the Office of Information Technology (OIT) at (585) 385-8016 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MySJFC allows for single sign-on for many of Fisher's online services including Blackboard, Gmail, Atomic Learning, and more.
- Access MySJFC at http://my.sjfc.edu
Immunizations, Physical Exam, and Health Insurance Coverage
- Immunization Records and the Meningitis Response Form are due to the Wellness Center at the start of the semester. Failure to submit these records may result in removal from courses and you will not be allowed to move into housing. You can fax your records to the Wellness Center at (585) 385-8299.
- All new full-time undergraduate students are required to have a physical on file with the Wellness Center at the time of course registration. For transfer students, a copy of your original college entrance physical is acceptable. Any questions may be directed to the Wellness Center at (585) 385-8280 or email@example.com.
- If you would like to purchase health insurance coverage, St. John Fisher College has an established relationship with the Nationwide Life Insurance Company to provide student health insurance. Complete coverage details, including how to sign up, are available on the Wellness Center's site.
Billing and Financial Aid
- Questions regarding your bill, payments or payment options may be directed to the Bursar's office at (585)385-8061, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting the Bursar's website. Your current bill is accessible online 24/7 through your Fish 'R' Net account.
- Questions regarding the status of loans and scholarships/grants should be directed to the Financial Aid Office at (585) 385-8042 or via email at email@example.com.
- Commuter check-in will begin at 11:00 a.m.
- All commuter vehicles must be registered with the Safety and Security Department located in Haffey Lobby. Parking permits for the 2013-2014 academic year are $50 for commuters and are valid for the entire school year. Please visit the Safety and Security Department for more details.
- Commuter Council will be available during Orientation programs. This is a good opportunity to not only get involved, but also talk with students who have personal experience of life at Fisher as a commuter.
- Information regarding residence hall check-in will be sent via your SJFC email in early August. Please refer to this for room, roommate, and check-in details.
- Questions regarding housing should be directed to the Office of Residential Life at (585) 385-8281, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by checking the Residential Life website.
Early Arrival Athletes
- Orientation check-in and participation is required for early arrival athletes. You must check-in for orientation based on your check-in time indicated in the information you receive from Residential Life. When you arrive on campus for pre-season, you should bring only the items you need to participate in pre-season. Your family should bring the rest of your belongings at your assigned check-in time.
- It's easy to view the textbooks required for each of your courses and order them right online. Follow the instructions on the Ordering Textbooks Online page and your books will be waiting for you at Orientation!
- Become a part of Fisher's Facebook community
- Follow Fisher's Twitter Feed (@FisherNews)
- Find us on Instagram (tag your campus photos during orientation with #sjfc and it may be featured on the College’s As Seen at Fisher blog!)
- Learn about student clubs and organizations and other involvement opportunities