School of Business Hosts Contemporary Media Forum
On Thursday, March 27, the St. John Fisher College School of Business hosted a contemporary media forum with business professionals from Butler/Till, an independent and employee-owned media communications agency headquartered in Rochester.
Amanda DeVito, Director of Strategy and Innovation; Carrie Riby, Account Director; and School of Business senior Alison Taylor, who is currently working as an Operation Specialists Intern at the agency, directed the afternoon’s discussion and brainstorming session. The theme of the forum was “Storytelling Through Advertising” and aimed to make students think of innovative ways to grab the attention of their audience through popular media platforms.
The students in attendance were divided into groups and assigned different media platforms pulled from Ad Week’s hottest digital media list. After watching video vignettes produced by Chipotle Mexican Grill, the students were given the task of creating stories through different types of advertising already used within the industry. Some of the popular media platforms included Netflix, Spotify, Vine, Instagram, Candy Crush Saga, and popular YouTube channels.
The forum reinforced the importance of brand character and company value representation in various forms of advertising. The students also learned some new ways to grab the attention of a target demographic without annoying their audience.
“Companies are starting to tweak their advertisements in order to earn the relationship first, and then reward that customer loyalty with their outstanding product or service,” said DeVito.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Fisher Students Blogging—and Bragging—About Campus Life
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship