School of Business Hosts Contemporary Media Forum
On Thursday, March 27, the St. John Fisher College School of Business hosted a contemporary media forum with business professionals from Butler/Till, an independent and employee-owned media communications agency headquartered in Rochester.
Amanda DeVito, Director of Strategy and Innovation; Carrie Riby, Account Director; and School of Business senior Alison Taylor, who is currently working as an Operation Specialists Intern at the agency, directed the afternoon’s discussion and brainstorming session. The theme of the forum was “Storytelling Through Advertising” and aimed to make students think of innovative ways to grab the attention of their audience through popular media platforms.
The students in attendance were divided into groups and assigned different media platforms pulled from Ad Week’s hottest digital media list. After watching video vignettes produced by Chipotle Mexican Grill, the students were given the task of creating stories through different types of advertising already used within the industry. Some of the popular media platforms included Netflix, Spotify, Vine, Instagram, Candy Crush Saga, and popular YouTube channels.
The forum reinforced the importance of brand character and company value representation in various forms of advertising. The students also learned some new ways to grab the attention of a target demographic without annoying their audience.
“Companies are starting to tweak their advertisements in order to earn the relationship first, and then reward that customer loyalty with their outstanding product or service,” said DeVito.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes