School of Business Hosts Contemporary Media Forum
On Thursday, March 27, the St. John Fisher College School of Business hosted a contemporary media forum with business professionals from Butler/Till, an independent and employee-owned media communications agency headquartered in Rochester.
Amanda DeVito, Director of Strategy and Innovation; Carrie Riby, Account Director; and School of Business senior Alison Taylor, who is currently working as an Operation Specialists Intern at the agency, directed the afternoon’s discussion and brainstorming session. The theme of the forum was “Storytelling Through Advertising” and aimed to make students think of innovative ways to grab the attention of their audience through popular media platforms.
The students in attendance were divided into groups and assigned different media platforms pulled from Ad Week’s hottest digital media list. After watching video vignettes produced by Chipotle Mexican Grill, the students were given the task of creating stories through different types of advertising already used within the industry. Some of the popular media platforms included Netflix, Spotify, Vine, Instagram, Candy Crush Saga, and popular YouTube channels.
The forum reinforced the importance of brand character and company value representation in various forms of advertising. The students also learned some new ways to grab the attention of a target demographic without annoying their audience.
“Companies are starting to tweak their advertisements in order to earn the relationship first, and then reward that customer loyalty with their outstanding product or service,” said DeVito.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Accounting Professor Selected for Third Fulbright
- Lavery Librarians Win Audience Award at Fast Pitch Competition
- Share Your Family Recipes with the Fisher Cookbook
- Mental Health Counseling Program Earns Grant to Fund New Training Program
- Fall Athletes Achieve Historic Seasons for Fisher
- Stress Free Week Activities Help Ease Finals Frenzy
- Grant Gives Media Arts Lab an Interactive Makeover
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors