School of Business Hosts Contemporary Media Forum
On Thursday, March 27, the St. John Fisher College School of Business hosted a contemporary media forum with business professionals from Butler/Till, an independent and employee-owned media communications agency headquartered in Rochester.
Amanda DeVito, Director of Strategy and Innovation; Carrie Riby, Account Director; and School of Business senior Alison Taylor, who is currently working as an Operation Specialists Intern at the agency, directed the afternoon’s discussion and brainstorming session. The theme of the forum was “Storytelling Through Advertising” and aimed to make students think of innovative ways to grab the attention of their audience through popular media platforms.
The students in attendance were divided into groups and assigned different media platforms pulled from Ad Week’s hottest digital media list. After watching video vignettes produced by Chipotle Mexican Grill, the students were given the task of creating stories through different types of advertising already used within the industry. Some of the popular media platforms included Netflix, Spotify, Vine, Instagram, Candy Crush Saga, and popular YouTube channels.
The forum reinforced the importance of brand character and company value representation in various forms of advertising. The students also learned some new ways to grab the attention of a target demographic without annoying their audience.
“Companies are starting to tweak their advertisements in order to earn the relationship first, and then reward that customer loyalty with their outstanding product or service,” said DeVito.
Latest College News Stories
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
- Birnie Named Interim Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy