Archaeology Faculty is Featured Speaker for State Archaeological Association
Justin Tubiolo, adjunct faculty of Archaeology in the St. John Fisher College Department of Anthropology, served as the guest lecturer at the local Lewis Henry Morgan Chapter of the New York State Archaeological Association’s Christmas banquet on December 4. The event was held at the Historic American Hotel in Lima.
His talk was entitled, “The Mills Mansion: A Nineteenth-Century Domestic Site in the Genesee Valley,” and focused on the site, which is also one of the College’s archaeological field schools and was highlighted in a campus exhibit earlier this year.
The mansion is located in the Village of Mount Morris, and was built by Major General William Augustus Mills (1777-1844), who began his military career during the War of 1812. The Mount Morris Historical Society acquired the house during the American Bicentennial. The society established an archaeological research project, directed by Tubiolo, to guide the historical restoration of the mansion, as well as the museum's public education program.
The site has been continuously occupied for two centuries and presents a complexity of overlapping historical features. One of the project's objectives is to map the historical layout of the Mills family homestead beneath today's mowed lawn and gravel driveway. The grounds have been studied with infrared aerial photography, soil core sampling, and many seasons of excavations. Documentary information and oral history are now being related to the archaeological evidence of sequential landscape changes.
Latest College News Stories
- Investment Club Students, Finance Pros Celebrate During Shareholders’ Report Dinner
- Relay for Life Celebrates, Remembers, and Fights Against Cancer
- Countdown to Commencement: Tyrese Bryant
- Dr. Theresa Westbay Named Interim Dean of St. John Fisher College School of Arts and Sciences
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year