Archaeology Faculty is Featured Speaker for State Archaeological Association
Justin Tubiolo, adjunct faculty of Archaeology in the St. John Fisher College Department of Anthropology, served as the guest lecturer at the local Lewis Henry Morgan Chapter of the New York State Archaeological Association’s Christmas banquet on December 4. The event was held at the Historic American Hotel in Lima.
His talk was entitled, “The Mills Mansion: A Nineteenth-Century Domestic Site in the Genesee Valley,” and focused on the site, which is also one of the College’s archaeological field schools and was highlighted in a campus exhibit earlier this year.
The mansion is located in the Village of Mount Morris, and was built by Major General William Augustus Mills (1777-1844), who began his military career during the War of 1812. The Mount Morris Historical Society acquired the house during the American Bicentennial. The society established an archaeological research project, directed by Tubiolo, to guide the historical restoration of the mansion, as well as the museum's public education program.
The site has been continuously occupied for two centuries and presents a complexity of overlapping historical features. One of the project's objectives is to map the historical layout of the Mills family homestead beneath today's mowed lawn and gravel driveway. The grounds have been studied with infrared aerial photography, soil core sampling, and many seasons of excavations. Documentary information and oral history are now being related to the archaeological evidence of sequential landscape changes.
Latest College News Stories
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex