Service-Learning Course Works with Local Clothing Boutique
This semester’s Introduction to Advertising course, taught by Adjunct Professor Kathleen Marchaesi-Ciaraldi, has been busy with a local high-end clothing boutique. They have been working closely with d. Kent & Co., located at the Culver Road Armory, creating an advertising plan for the store to use.
Marchaesi-Ciaraldi said one of her objectives in the service-learning course is to give students an opportunity to experience all of the steps involved in creating an advertising plan.
“There is no better way to do this than working with a ‘real’ client - a local business or non-profit willing to partner with the class on an adventure,” she said.
This particular partner lead came from the Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement. According to Marchaesi-Ciaraldi, the store’s owner, Marina Kent, was very excited about working with the class on plans to increase awareness of the store and grow her business.
Student teams are charged with developing a complete advertising plan and have had several meetings and visits with their client throughout the semester. Each team was given a different campaign objective, so the client will receive a variety of ideas. The class will be making a final “pitch” to Kent at the end of the semester.
“I have been teaching this class since 2008 and every semester I am impressed with the ideas that the students put forth. Some of the work is honestly as good as professional work I’ve seen come from advertising agencies. And comments from clients are always over-the-top positive,” said Marchaesi-Ciaraldi.
Students are required to complete elements including: a situation analysis including a competitive review and product evaluation; primary market; specific advertising objectives; budget; creative strategy; advertising tactics and executions; and media recommendations.
“My experience in this class has allowed us to be put in a real-life situation that is far more valuable than your typical class assignments. It’s putting all of the pieces together like a real agency that makes this experience worthwhile and beneficial in the long run,” said Amanda Bly, one of the students in the course.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes