Education Faculty Members Publish Journal Article
Two current and one former faculty member from the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education recently published an article in a statewide journal. Douglas Llewellyn, Adjunct Faculty for the graduate programs in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST) and Educational Leadership program; Dr. John Travers, former faculty member; and Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Associate Professor, had an article in the fall 2011 volume of the Science Teachers Bulletin, a journal of the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS).
In the article, “Building Leadership through Action Research,” the authors highlight the Teacher/Leader Quality Partnership Program (TLQP) at Fisher, designed to engage 40 teacher/leaders of mathematics and science from the Rochester City School District and surrounding suburban schools. According to the authors, “the focus of the project’s efforts was centered not simply on developing knowledge and skills, but on building a professional learning community that better understands the nature of teaching and learning – particularly with an eye towards mitigating the achievement gap between affluent students and students of poverty.”
To accomplish the goals of the program, a wide variety of research-based strategies and skills were shared, modeled, and practiced. At the heart of the program, each participant engaged in an action research project starting with the formulation of a question or problem relating to the achievement gap and planning a means to investigate and study the phenomenon. In addition, they kept journal notes and anecdotal evidence. Using a focus group evaluation, numerous participants described action research as a worthy form of professional development. Participants also noted that using this inquiry approach enhanced their own scholarly growth. TLQP was funded through a Title III grant.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program