Education Faculty Members Publish Journal Article
Two current and one former faculty member from the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education recently published an article in a statewide journal. Douglas Llewellyn, Adjunct Faculty for the graduate programs in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST) and Educational Leadership program; Dr. John Travers, former faculty member; and Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Associate Professor, had an article in the fall 2011 volume of the Science Teachers Bulletin, a journal of the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS).
In the article, “Building Leadership through Action Research,” the authors highlight the Teacher/Leader Quality Partnership Program (TLQP) at Fisher, designed to engage 40 teacher/leaders of mathematics and science from the Rochester City School District and surrounding suburban schools. According to the authors, “the focus of the project’s efforts was centered not simply on developing knowledge and skills, but on building a professional learning community that better understands the nature of teaching and learning – particularly with an eye towards mitigating the achievement gap between affluent students and students of poverty.”
To accomplish the goals of the program, a wide variety of research-based strategies and skills were shared, modeled, and practiced. At the heart of the program, each participant engaged in an action research project starting with the formulation of a question or problem relating to the achievement gap and planning a means to investigate and study the phenomenon. In addition, they kept journal notes and anecdotal evidence. Using a focus group evaluation, numerous participants described action research as a worthy form of professional development. Participants also noted that using this inquiry approach enhanced their own scholarly growth. TLQP was funded through a Title III grant.
Check out photos from Relay for Life 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Awards Recognize Excellence within the School of Pharmacy
- Fisher Students Contribute to Freshman Survival Guide
- Professor Shares Business Expertise through Fulbright, Aims to Erupt Economic Development on Volcanic Island of Rodrigues
- Chemistry Students Present Research at Regional Symposium
- Unither Scholars Program Benefits Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students
- Speed Networking Connects Students, Industry Leaders
- Ceremony Honors Service-Learning Efforts at Fisher
- Jack Palvino Award Honors Two for Academic Excellence