Education Faculty Members Publish Journal Article
Two current and one former faculty member from the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education recently published an article in a statewide journal. Douglas Llewellyn, Adjunct Faculty for the graduate programs in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST) and Educational Leadership program; Dr. John Travers, former faculty member; and Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Associate Professor, had an article in the fall 2011 volume of the Science Teachers Bulletin, a journal of the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS).
In the article, “Building Leadership through Action Research,” the authors highlight the Teacher/Leader Quality Partnership Program (TLQP) at Fisher, designed to engage 40 teacher/leaders of mathematics and science from the Rochester City School District and surrounding suburban schools. According to the authors, “the focus of the project’s efforts was centered not simply on developing knowledge and skills, but on building a professional learning community that better understands the nature of teaching and learning – particularly with an eye towards mitigating the achievement gap between affluent students and students of poverty.”
To accomplish the goals of the program, a wide variety of research-based strategies and skills were shared, modeled, and practiced. At the heart of the program, each participant engaged in an action research project starting with the formulation of a question or problem relating to the achievement gap and planning a means to investigate and study the phenomenon. In addition, they kept journal notes and anecdotal evidence. Using a focus group evaluation, numerous participants described action research as a worthy form of professional development. Participants also noted that using this inquiry approach enhanced their own scholarly growth. TLQP was funded through a Title III grant.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes