Bain Travels to Ireland
President Bain recently returned from a trip to Ireland with stops in Waterford and Galway where he met with college officials at the Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) and the National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG), Waterford politicians, and members of the Waterford Rochester Sister Cities Golf Tournament committee.
While in Waterford, Bain met with Michael Walsh, Waterford City and County Manager, and the two discussed matters of mutual importance to the Waterford and Rochester communities. During the meeting, Walsh outlined strategic plans for his region, and he and Bain discussed continuing opportunities for partnerships between the City of Waterford and Rochester.
Additionally, Bain met with Dr. Derek O’Byrne, Registrar and Provost of WIT. O’Byrne, who also serves as President of the Waterford Area Chamber of Commerce, has been closely involved in academic partnership discussions between WIT and Fisher.
He also participated in a civic dinner held at Waterford's Granville Hotel. Attendees included various members of the Waterford Chamber of Commerce; Waterford City Council; WIT; Patrick Burke, President and CEO of The Burke Group, Rochester; and others. The emcee for the evening was Redmond O'Donoghue, former CEO of Waterford Wedgwood (parent company of Waterford Crystal) and former Board Chair of WIT. Bain provided greetings on behalf of the Rochester delegation, offered remarks on the state of the College, and provided an update on the state of partnership activities taking place between WIT and Fisher.
In addition, Bain presented a check to the 2014 Rochester Waterford Sister Cities Golf Tournament, which supports charities in the City of Waterford. Last year, the Rochester Waterford Sister Cities Golf Tournament presented funds to support the College's Irish Studies Program.
President Bain with Tom Murphy, President of Tom Murphy Car Sales (Waterford) and Chair of the 2014 Waterford Rochester Sister Cities Golf Tournament, and Michael Walsh, Waterford City and County Manager.
During his visit to Galway, Bain met with representatives of NUIG. Fisher has partnered with the University’s Centre for Irish Studies to provide a semester-long study abroad experience in Ireland for students from Fisher and Hobart and William Smith Colleges. He met with Louis de Paor, the Centre’s Director; Maeve Cuffe, the Centre’s Assistant Director; and Nuala McGuinn, Director, Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development/Summer School. De Paor is responsible for affording Fisher students the opportunity to participate in the Galway study abroad program. The College sent its first group of students this past spring, and they were accompanied by Dr. Tim Madigan, Director of Fisher’s Irish Studies Program. While enrolled, Fisher students take courses in Irish Thought and Irish Life and Culture, and they live in a student housing complex called Gort na Coiribe, about 15 minutes from campus.
L to R: Maeve Cuffe, Assistant Director and Nuala McGuinn, Director, Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development/Summer School; President Bain; and Louis de Paor, Director, Centre for Irish Studies.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year