Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
Dr. Laura Markwick, Family Nurse Practitioner Track Coordinator and Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, has been selected by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), the largest national professional membership organization for nurse practitioners (NPs) of all specialties, to participate in the prestigious AANP Future Leaders Program. Markwick was one of 18 selected from 70 applicants from across the country.
The newly launched 12-month program is designed to develop the next generation of NP leaders through a variety of initiatives that will provide a broad vision of the NP role in the current and future health care environment. Those selected for the program are relatively early in their NP careers, serving in clinical, administrative, and education roles, with demonstrated potential to assume increasing national leadership both within AANP and throughout the nation.
Markwick received her Bachelor of Science in nursing from the University of Vermont in 1985, and earned her master’s degree and doctoral degree from Fisher in 2006 and 2010, respectively. Her background in nursing includes a wide variety of specialties, including ICU, Med/Surg, Administrative, Utilization Review, Community Health, and Long-Term Care. She was an adjunct faculty member at Fisher for seven years before being appointed a full-time faculty member. She has worked as a NP in the primary care setting in a private family practice as well as long-term care managing an 80 patient case load that included many patients with psychiatric co-morbidities. She has also worked at the University of Rochester Medical Center in the telemedicine program as the Director for Adult Telemedicine. In addition to teaching at Fisher, Markwick also works in a family practice.
“I am excited and honored for this opportunity. Promoting the nurse practitioner profession is very important and I look forward to developing leadership skills necessary to support this organization," said Markwick.
Markwick will join the other participants in early October for an initial two-day formal training focusing on leadership development and other components of the program.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes