Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
Dr. Laura Markwick, Family Nurse Practitioner Track Coordinator and Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, has been selected by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), the largest national professional membership organization for nurse practitioners (NPs) of all specialties, to participate in the prestigious AANP Future Leaders Program. Markwick was one of 18 selected from 70 applicants from across the country.
The newly launched 12-month program is designed to develop the next generation of NP leaders through a variety of initiatives that will provide a broad vision of the NP role in the current and future health care environment. Those selected for the program are relatively early in their NP careers, serving in clinical, administrative, and education roles, with demonstrated potential to assume increasing national leadership both within AANP and throughout the nation.
Markwick received her Bachelor of Science in nursing from the University of Vermont in 1985, and earned her master’s degree and doctoral degree from Fisher in 2006 and 2010, respectively. Her background in nursing includes a wide variety of specialties, including ICU, Med/Surg, Administrative, Utilization Review, Community Health, and Long-Term Care. She was an adjunct faculty member at Fisher for seven years before being appointed a full-time faculty member. She has worked as a NP in the primary care setting in a private family practice as well as long-term care managing an 80 patient case load that included many patients with psychiatric co-morbidities. She has also worked at the University of Rochester Medical Center in the telemedicine program as the Director for Adult Telemedicine. In addition to teaching at Fisher, Markwick also works in a family practice.
“I am excited and honored for this opportunity. Promoting the nurse practitioner profession is very important and I look forward to developing leadership skills necessary to support this organization," said Markwick.
Markwick will join the other participants in early October for an initial two-day formal training focusing on leadership development and other components of the program.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- College Renovates Park & Ride; Adds 120 Parking Spots
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference