Students on a Mission in El Salvador
Six St. John Fisher College students and one faculty member traveled to La Union, El Salvador, with a group of 42 other medical professionals and students as part of Global Health Outreach (GHO).
Dr. Melinda Lull, Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, led the group that included: pharmacy students Nicole Vaughn, Casey Utter, and Meredith Bodah; nursing students Jenny LaVigne and Melina Seaman; and recent graduate Kaitlyn Yarussi, a former biology major who graduated this past May.
Together, the group ran a five-day medical clinic offering free medical, dental, physical therapy, and psychiatric care, as well as an eyeglass clinic and a pharmacy. The group treated almost 2,000 men, women, and children.
At the clinic, the pharmacy group was responsible for overseeing the pharmacy and filling over 300 prescriptions that came in each day. In addition, they distributed vitamins and parasite medication to each patient, as well as antibiotics, cold, allergy, and pain medications, among others. The Fisher pharmacy students shadowed physicians to experience patient care from a different point-of-view. The nursing students spent time working in triage as well as exam rooms, where they had a lot of one-on-one patient interaction.
"Overall, the trip was an amazing experience for each of us involved," said Lull. "Being given the opportunity to use our expertise to help in an area of the world where there is so much need was extremely rewarding."
The team from St. John Fisher College.
The larger group from Global Health Outreach.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Fisher Students Blogging—and Bragging—About Campus Life
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download