Fisher Takes on the 2013 Corporate Challenge
Members of the St. John Fisher College community represented the College well at this year’s J.P. Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge held at the Rochester Institute of Technology on May 21. A total of 78 Fisher participants joined the crowd of nearly 11,000 runners and walkers from 460 companies and organizations.
This year’s Fisher team was the largest one yet. Alan Pogroszewski, Assistant Professor in the Sport Studies Department, has been the Fisher Team Captain since 2008. The College started participating in the event in 2003.
“It’s fun to see the growth and interest in the event,” said Pogroszewski. “It’s much more than a race or a 3.5 mile walk, but a chance to have a good time and encourage a healthy lifestyle. My goal is to see this event transcend from being a one-day activity to a component of our overall health and wellness program at Fisher.”
Pogroszewski also said that the event’s growth has been encouraged by continued support from the College. This year’s participants were fitted with a team shirt and treated to a post-race buffet provided by Dinosaur Bar-B-Que. In addition, the College’s wellness committee, Healthy U, provided participants with a 50% reimbursement of their entry fee, and a 100% reimbursement went to those who completed the “Desk Chair to Corporate Challenge” program organized by Ginny Maier, Adjunct Associate Professor and Health Professions Advisor, and Healthy U committee member. Participants were also treated to massages courtesy of Roc City Wellness, a new and welcomed addition to this year’s Fisher tent.
Massages provided by Roc City Wellness.
Fisher’s mixed team of Eryn Yates (Marketing and Communications), Kelly Powell (Residential Life), Sean Coffey (Athletics), and Alan Pogroszewski (Sports Studies) completed the course in a combined time of 1:39:58 which unofficially placed them in the top five out of 460 company teams. Fisher’s top men’s foursome of Dr. Clair Smith (Economics), Dr. Ryan Thibodeau (Psychology), Dr. Ramil Sapinoro (School of Pharmacy), and Dr. Karl Williams (School of Pharmacy), who finished in 1:53:54. The top women’s team of Rosemary Shanahan (Wellness), Amanda Burns (School of Business), Dr. Jana Simon (School of Business), and Lynda Page (Payroll) completed it in 2:04:43.
This year’s race beneficiary was the YMCA of Greater Rochester. A portion of the entry fees from race participants will benefit the YMCA’s day camp programs which enable children from low-income communities to enjoy quality day camp experiences.
With nearly 11,000 participants, the Corporate Challenge is the largest road race in the Rochester region.
The 2013 Fisher team!
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems