Fast-a-Thon Promotes Awareness of Muslim Tradition
The Muslim Student Association (MSA) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs hosted the first-ever Fast-a-Thon on Saturday, October 20, an event aimed at raising the campus community’s awareness of the sacred Muslim tradition of fasting.
Over 55 students, faculty, and staff came together to celebrate the tradition and learn more about its history. Attendees enjoyed ethnic cuisine and culture including henna art, Arabic calligraphy, and a Qur'anic melody showcase by a renowned reciter. In addition, they learned more about the Muslim traditions of Ramadan and Hajj. A cultural art display also allowed students to see religious-inspired decorations, hand-woven prayer rugs, and prayer beads. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers by a visiting Islamic scholar. The event ended with authentic Pakistani cuisine and delicacies including a crowd favorite, baklava.
The Fast-a-Thon is an event that MSAs host each year on campuses across the country. The event allows the hosting organization to contribute to campus diversity by sharing ethnic cuisine and culture with students, faculty, and staff.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year