Fast-a-Thon Promotes Awareness of Muslim Tradition
The Muslim Student Association (MSA) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs hosted the first-ever Fast-a-Thon on Saturday, October 20, an event aimed at raising the campus community’s awareness of the sacred Muslim tradition of fasting.
Over 55 students, faculty, and staff came together to celebrate the tradition and learn more about its history. Attendees enjoyed ethnic cuisine and culture including henna art, Arabic calligraphy, and a Qur'anic melody showcase by a renowned reciter. In addition, they learned more about the Muslim traditions of Ramadan and Hajj. A cultural art display also allowed students to see religious-inspired decorations, hand-woven prayer rugs, and prayer beads. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers by a visiting Islamic scholar. The event ended with authentic Pakistani cuisine and delicacies including a crowd favorite, baklava.
The Fast-a-Thon is an event that MSAs host each year on campuses across the country. The event allows the hosting organization to contribute to campus diversity by sharing ethnic cuisine and culture with students, faculty, and staff.
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair
- Ed.D. Student Highlighted in Huffington Post Article for Leadership, Service