Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association Honors Three Fisher Students
The Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association (RACCE) recently presented three St. John Fisher College students with Outstanding Adult Student Awards. Jaime Berthold, Matthew DiGiambattista, and Shawna Hicks were formally recognized by the RACCE at a banquet on April 23. All three will graduate in May.
The awards recognized the extraordinary achievements of 30 adult students from ten area colleges who have excelled academically while also juggling responsibilities outside of the classroom, such as families, jobs, and community involvement.
Berthold is a Sport Management major, and works multiple part-time jobs while completing the rigorous academic program that includes a 150-hour practicum and a 400-hour internship. She is also a full-time mom. Currently, she is interning with after-school services and programming for the Perinton Parks and Recreation Department, focusing on how parents influence youth to get involved in sport. She will graduate with a B.S. in Sport Management.
DiGiambattista started his coursework at Monroe Community College and then transferred to RIT where he earned a B.S. in Criminal Justice. He then applied and was accepted to attend Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, and over four years served in Ramadi, Iraq, and Helmand Province, Afghanistan. During this time, he nurtured an interest in history and discovered his calling to become an educator. DiGiambattista works several part-time jobs, including tutoring and coaching JV lacrosse. He will graduate in with an M.S. in Adolescence Education and Special Education.
Hicks, an English major, works forty-plus hours per week as a direct care assistant at Finger Lakes Developmental Disabilities Service Office. As a single mother raising four children, she has mastered the art of scheduling and work/life balance. She will graduate with a B.A. in English, with a literature concentration, and has plans to pursue her master’s and Ph.D. in English.
Latest College News Stories
- Marketing Club Plans Robust Marketing Week, Open to Campus Community
- Gandhi Wins Szarejko Information Literacy Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Tessoni '69 Receives Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State