Digital Cultures Day Set for April 12
St. John Fisher College will host Digital Cultures Day on Thursday, April 12, from 12:30-9:00 p.m., and the event is free and open to the public.
Sessions dedicated to digital cultures and technologies will take place throughout the day in Basil Auditorium and Hughes Rotunda.
The full schedule includes:
12:30-1:30 p.m.: “Game Controllers: Censorship, Ratings, and Rights” - Basil 135
The St. John Fisher Young Voters presents Stephen Jacobs, Associate Professor, School of Interactive Games and Media, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Jacobs will speak about the recent Supreme Court case involving video games and freedom of speech, and other issues associated with game content and ratings.
1:50-2:40 p.m.: “Stories and Gaming” - Basil 135
Presenting a discussion of the role of storytelling in games. The panelists will include three professors and three students: Rik Hunter (Fisher/English), Steve Jacobs (RIT/Interactive Games and Media), Jeremy Sarachan (Fisher/Communication/Journalism), Joe Loporcaro (doctoral student at SUNY Buffalo and Fisher grad), Kyle Brennan (sophomore and President of the Fisher Gaming Club), and Andrew Marone (sophomore and member of the St. John Fisher Young Voters).
2:45-4:15 p.m.: “Videogame Exhibition” – Hughes Rotunda
Members of the Fisher Gaming Club will show off the latest in games and discuss how to become a part of this exciting new club at Fisher.
3:15-4:00 p.m.: “The Cross-Platform Future: Digital Media, TV, and Everything in Between” – Basil 135
The Communication/Journalism department presents Elaine Sung, a Senior News Editor at ESPN. She has worked for Newsday, the Washington Post, and the Miami Herald, and will speak about the challenges of writing and preparing content for multiple channels.
4:35-5:20 p.m.: “Artivism: The Artist as Activist in the Occupy Movement” – Basil 135
The Digital Cultures and Technologies program presents Julie Gelfand, a photographer, adjunct professor in the Arts program and Communication/Journalism department at Fisher, and a member of Occupy Rochester. She will discuss the role of the artist as protestor.
5:25-5:55 p.m.: “Dinner AND Occupy Rochester Videos by Fisher's 'Cyberactivism' students” - Hughes Rotunda
Come enjoy a vegetarian dinner while watching videos of the Occupy Rochester movement, produced by students in Dresden Engle's Cyberactivism class.
6:00-6:45 p.m.: “Second Annual Mashup Competition Showcase” – Basil 135
See the best entries of the Second Annual Video Mashup Contest. The winners of the competition will be announced at the end of the presentation!
7:30-9:00 p.m.: “Red, White, Blue, and God Bless You (Fourth Annual “America Seen” Photography Lecture)” - Basil 135
The American Studies Department welcomes the award-winning photographer, Alex Harris, professor of the practice of public policy and documentary studies at Duke and a founder The Center for Documentary Studies and DoubleTake Magazine. Harris' photo-based talk will focus on his extensive work documenting cultural and social life in the United States.
Digital Cultures Day is being sponsored by the Communication/Journalism and American Studies Departments, the Digital Cultures and Technologies minor, the Fisher Gaming Club, and the St. John Fisher College Young Voters.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher