Sarachan Publishes Essay on Screen Time for Children
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Communication/Journalism and Director of the Digital Cultures and Technologies Program, recently published an essay in the fall 2012 issue of the International Journal of Learning and Media, published by MIT Press.
In the essay, “Limiting Screen Time is Not the Key to Parenting in the Digital Age,” Sarachan discusses the media-influenced fear of “screen time” and the difficulty of placing arbitrary restrictions on video games and other digital technologies in light of the mobile and ubiquitous nature of new media. He argues that instead, parents should pay attention to all play activities, with electronic options not necessarily being inferior in all cases. The essay was a result of Sarachan’s extensive research into children’s virtual worlds.
The International Journal of Learning and Media is a groundbreaking online-only journal devoted to the examination of the changing relationships between learning and media across a wide range of forms and settings.
Latest College News Stories
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members