“Fagbug” Documentary and Filmmaker to Visit Fisher October 11
It was the 11th Annual National Day of Silence in 2007. Erin Davies was a student living in Albany. She proudly displayed a rainbow sticker on her Volkswagen Beetle, a sticker that ultimately made her the victim of a hate crime.
Her car was vandalized and left with hate words placed on the car’s driver side window and hood. At first, she was embarrassed and shocked. But something told her to take the experience, embrace it, and use it to teach others a lesson.
She set off on a 58-day trip in the graffiti-peppered car around the United States and Canada, and she was armed with a video camera for the entire trip. Her car became known worldwide as the "fagbug,” and after driving it around for one year, she gave it a complete makeover. She documented her trip, and premiered the movie, Fagbug, a year later.
Today, Davies lives in Syracuse, and travels across the country to tell her story with her mission to raise awareness about hate crimes and homophobia in our society. By sharing her story, she hopes to give a voice to those who are silent, to inspire others to take a stand against bullies, and to be an example of how to overcome obstacles by bringing a creative project to life. She is currently working on a second documentary.
Davies will return to the St. John Fisher College campus for the third year in a row on Thursday, October 11, which is also National Coming Out Day. The film will begin at 6:00 p.m. in Basil 135, and will be followed by a Q&A session with Davies. In addition, her car will be parked in the LeChase Commons on Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Davies’ visit is sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs.
Latest College News Stories
- On “The Verge” – Students Concept Binge-Watching TV Experience, Premiere May 1
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards