“Fagbug” Documentary and Filmmaker to Visit Fisher October 11
It was the 11th Annual National Day of Silence in 2007. Erin Davies was a student living in Albany. She proudly displayed a rainbow sticker on her Volkswagen Beetle, a sticker that ultimately made her the victim of a hate crime.
Her car was vandalized and left with hate words placed on the car’s driver side window and hood. At first, she was embarrassed and shocked. But something told her to take the experience, embrace it, and use it to teach others a lesson.
She set off on a 58-day trip in the graffiti-peppered car around the United States and Canada, and she was armed with a video camera for the entire trip. Her car became known worldwide as the "fagbug,” and after driving it around for one year, she gave it a complete makeover. She documented her trip, and premiered the movie, Fagbug, a year later.
Today, Davies lives in Syracuse, and travels across the country to tell her story with her mission to raise awareness about hate crimes and homophobia in our society. By sharing her story, she hopes to give a voice to those who are silent, to inspire others to take a stand against bullies, and to be an example of how to overcome obstacles by bringing a creative project to life. She is currently working on a second documentary.
Davies will return to the St. John Fisher College campus for the third year in a row on Thursday, October 11, which is also National Coming Out Day. The film will begin at 6:00 p.m. in Basil 135, and will be followed by a Q&A session with Davies. In addition, her car will be parked in the LeChase Commons on Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Davies’ visit is sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs.
Latest College News Stories
- From Fisher to the White House, Student Dines with President Obama
- Alum, Media and Communication Professor Collaborate on Video Production Course Project
- Showcases Held throughout April Spotlight Student Work
- Sport Management Banquet Honors Students and Alumni
- Jack Palvino Award Honors Two Students
- New Members Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma
- Networking Event Connects Students, Tax Pros
- Six Honored during Staff Recognition Awards
- Women’s Leadership Committee Kicks-Off First Event
- Bio Students Present Research
- Ceremony Showcases Service-Learning at Fisher
- Education Professor Elected to Board of American Council for Rural Special Education
- Relay Unites Campus in Fight Against Cancer
- Legal Studies Program Honors Dr. Bain
- Student Entrepreneurs Present Ideas at Business Plan Competition