“Fagbug” Documentary and Filmmaker to Visit Fisher October 11
It was the 11th Annual National Day of Silence in 2007. Erin Davies was a student living in Albany. She proudly displayed a rainbow sticker on her Volkswagen Beetle, a sticker that ultimately made her the victim of a hate crime.
Her car was vandalized and left with hate words placed on the car’s driver side window and hood. At first, she was embarrassed and shocked. But something told her to take the experience, embrace it, and use it to teach others a lesson.
She set off on a 58-day trip in the graffiti-peppered car around the United States and Canada, and she was armed with a video camera for the entire trip. Her car became known worldwide as the "fagbug,” and after driving it around for one year, she gave it a complete makeover. She documented her trip, and premiered the movie, Fagbug, a year later.
Today, Davies lives in Syracuse, and travels across the country to tell her story with her mission to raise awareness about hate crimes and homophobia in our society. By sharing her story, she hopes to give a voice to those who are silent, to inspire others to take a stand against bullies, and to be an example of how to overcome obstacles by bringing a creative project to life. She is currently working on a second documentary.
Davies will return to the St. John Fisher College campus for the third year in a row on Thursday, October 11, which is also National Coming Out Day. The film will begin at 6:00 p.m. in Basil 135, and will be followed by a Q&A session with Davies. In addition, her car will be parked in the LeChase Commons on Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Davies’ visit is sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards