Palvino Scholarship Applications Now Available
The St. John Fisher College Communication/Journalism (C/J) Department is currently accepting applications for the 2012 Jack Palvino Excellence in Communication/Journalism Award.
Established in 2001, the $2,000 scholarship award recognizes two individuals who are part of the freshman, sophomore, or junior class and have declared C/J as their major. The award is given to students who have excelled in the major and demonstrate a need for financial assistance. To date, the scholarship has supported over 19 students.
Recipients will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- A clear, demonstrated desire to work in the field of mass communication.
- A demonstrated need for financial aid.
- An evaluation of two writing samples completed within the C/J Department.
- An evaluation of an essay titled “A Critical Problem in the Communication Industry.”
- The student’s GPA within the C/J major.
Applications are due by noon on Thursday, March 29, and may be submitted in the form of a PDF emailed as an attachment to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or delivered in person to one of the review committee members (Professor Jeremy Sarachan, Dr. Todd Sodano, or Dr. Jack Rosenberry). The recipients will be announced no later than April 11, and will be honored at the Palvino Hall of Fame Dinner on Saturday, April 14.
Palvino is a member of the College's first graduating class in 1955 and one of Rochester's best-known media figures. He had a legendary 40-year career in broadcasting, and was one of the area's dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert "Bud" Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, and WHRR in Rochester; WBUF in Buffalo; and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
He is officially retired, but remains active in the College's C/J Department. In 1999, the College honored Palvino for his contributions to the College by creating the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame.
Palvino has been a trustee of the College since 1985, and was the first alumnus to be voted Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1992-1995).
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans