DTWD (Don’t Text While Driving); Distracted Driver Event Happening February 18
(buzz, buzz) Your pocket is calling you.
(buzz, buzz) Someone is texting you, but you’re driving to class. It can probably wait, but can you?
Most drivers are guilty of engaging in distractions while they drive. Texting, talking on their phone, eating, finishing their make-up, or simply singing along to their radio are just some of the things that distract drivers when they should have been 100% focused on the road in front of them. In fact, each day in this country, more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,060 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.*
Ray McLean, RN, EMT-P, Trauma Injury Prevention and Outreach Coordinator at Strong Memorial Hospital’s Kessler Trauma Center, is working hard to change those statistics through a Distracted Driver Course. He has presented at many high schools in the region, but thought it was important to introduce the subject to college students. Fisher will be the first local college to host the course.
“It’s a really powerful session, and it’s so important for all drivers to know and understand all of the distractions that can cause an accident. Recent data actually shows that the most distracted drivers are the older teens and young adults, so we’re excited to be able to offer this course on a college campus,” said McLean, who is also enrolled in Fisher’s Online RN-to-BS Nursing Program.
Students can expect to see a formal, interactive presentation, which will include a glance at the actual equipment used in Emergency Departments and at the scene of an accident, along with personal stories. The course was designed five years ago by the Kessler Trauma Center, Monroe County, and the Injury Free Coalition for Kids at Golisano Children’s Hospital.
The course will take place on Tuesday, February 18, at 8:00 p.m. in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel, with a chance to win prizes. It is being sponsored by the Wellness Center.
*Source: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Latest College News Stories
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation