DTWD (Don’t Text While Driving); Distracted Driver Event Happening February 18
(buzz, buzz) Your pocket is calling you.
(buzz, buzz) Someone is texting you, but you’re driving to class. It can probably wait, but can you?
Most drivers are guilty of engaging in distractions while they drive. Texting, talking on their phone, eating, finishing their make-up, or simply singing along to their radio are just some of the things that distract drivers when they should have been 100% focused on the road in front of them. In fact, each day in this country, more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,060 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.*
Ray McLean, RN, EMT-P, Trauma Injury Prevention and Outreach Coordinator at Strong Memorial Hospital’s Kessler Trauma Center, is working hard to change those statistics through a Distracted Driver Course. He has presented at many high schools in the region, but thought it was important to introduce the subject to college students. Fisher will be the first local college to host the course.
“It’s a really powerful session, and it’s so important for all drivers to know and understand all of the distractions that can cause an accident. Recent data actually shows that the most distracted drivers are the older teens and young adults, so we’re excited to be able to offer this course on a college campus,” said McLean, who is also enrolled in Fisher’s Online RN-to-BS Nursing Program.
Students can expect to see a formal, interactive presentation, which will include a glance at the actual equipment used in Emergency Departments and at the scene of an accident, along with personal stories. The course was designed five years ago by the Kessler Trauma Center, Monroe County, and the Injury Free Coalition for Kids at Golisano Children’s Hospital.
The course will take place on Tuesday, February 18, at 8:00 p.m. in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel, with a chance to win prizes. It is being sponsored by the Wellness Center.
*Source: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner