DTWD (Don’t Text While Driving); Distracted Driver Event Happening February 18
(buzz, buzz) Your pocket is calling you.
(buzz, buzz) Someone is texting you, but you’re driving to class. It can probably wait, but can you?
Most drivers are guilty of engaging in distractions while they drive. Texting, talking on their phone, eating, finishing their make-up, or simply singing along to their radio are just some of the things that distract drivers when they should have been 100% focused on the road in front of them. In fact, each day in this country, more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,060 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.*
Ray McLean, RN, EMT-P, Trauma Injury Prevention and Outreach Coordinator at Strong Memorial Hospital’s Kessler Trauma Center, is working hard to change those statistics through a Distracted Driver Course. He has presented at many high schools in the region, but thought it was important to introduce the subject to college students. Fisher will be the first local college to host the course.
“It’s a really powerful session, and it’s so important for all drivers to know and understand all of the distractions that can cause an accident. Recent data actually shows that the most distracted drivers are the older teens and young adults, so we’re excited to be able to offer this course on a college campus,” said McLean, who is also enrolled in Fisher’s Online RN-to-BS Nursing Program.
Students can expect to see a formal, interactive presentation, which will include a glance at the actual equipment used in Emergency Departments and at the scene of an accident, along with personal stories. The course was designed five years ago by the Kessler Trauma Center, Monroe County, and the Injury Free Coalition for Kids at Golisano Children’s Hospital.
The course will take place on Tuesday, February 18, at 8:00 p.m. in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel, with a chance to win prizes. It is being sponsored by the Wellness Center.
*Source: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year