Biology Students Present at International Conference
St. John Fisher College Biology majors Lindsey Lamphear and Katelyn Giardino recently served as presenters at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB), which took place December 3-7 in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Daryl Hurd, Associate Professor, accompanied them on the trip.
The duo presented, “A specialized tubulin in the nervous system of C. elegans,” which included results of their summer research projects. Both Lamphear and Giardino participated in the College’s Undergraduate Summer Science Research Program, which allows undergraduate students majoring in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics to engage in an intensive summer research program under the supervision of a faculty member from one of those programs. Students selected as Summer Science Fellows receive a summer stipend up to a maximum of $3500 or tuition remission (up to a 3 credit maximum) for the summer course associated with their research activity. Students are also eligible to receive up to $800 to use to purchase project supplies or to fund their attendance at a professional conference.
The Annual Meeting of the ASCB is an international gathering of about 5,000 scientists from around the world.
The ASCB is a non-profit membership organization of biologists studying the cell. Since its founding in 1960, the organization has grown to approximately 10,000 members in the United States and more than 65 countries around the world. Current members come from universities, colleges, professional schools, government, industry, and public and private research institutions.
Lindsey Lamphear and Katelyn Giardino.
Latest College News Stories
- Rice Recognized for Lecture
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause