Dr. Daryl Hurd is Featured Speaker at April First Friday Lecture
On Friday, April 13, Dr. Daryl Hurd, Associate Professor of Biology at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the last guest lecturer in the College’s First Friday Lecture Series. His presentation is entitled, “What Worms and Flies Tell Us About Us.” The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
In his lecture, Hurd will focus on understanding the complexity of human biology. Human diseases present a multifaceted and layered pathology that can confound attempts at discovering underlying causes and prevent effective treatment. Less complex organisms have given biomedical researchers insight into human biology, and in the future, they may help develop effective strategies for prevention and treatment of disease.
Hurd attended Hiram College and graduated with a bachelor of arts in biology in 1991. He then went to Indiana University (Bloomington campus) and graduated with his Ph.D. in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology in 1997. Hurd completed his post-doctoral fellowship at Cornell University from 1998-2002, and started at Fisher in 2002.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students