Dr. Daryl Hurd is Featured Speaker at April First Friday Lecture
On Friday, April 13, Dr. Daryl Hurd, Associate Professor of Biology at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the last guest lecturer in the College’s First Friday Lecture Series. His presentation is entitled, “What Worms and Flies Tell Us About Us.” The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
In his lecture, Hurd will focus on understanding the complexity of human biology. Human diseases present a multifaceted and layered pathology that can confound attempts at discovering underlying causes and prevent effective treatment. Less complex organisms have given biomedical researchers insight into human biology, and in the future, they may help develop effective strategies for prevention and treatment of disease.
Hurd attended Hiram College and graduated with a bachelor of arts in biology in 1991. He then went to Indiana University (Bloomington campus) and graduated with his Ph.D. in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology in 1997. Hurd completed his post-doctoral fellowship at Cornell University from 1998-2002, and started at Fisher in 2002.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair