Dr. Daryl Hurd is Featured Speaker at April First Friday Lecture
On Friday, April 13, Dr. Daryl Hurd, Associate Professor of Biology at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the last guest lecturer in the College’s First Friday Lecture Series. His presentation is entitled, “What Worms and Flies Tell Us About Us.” The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
In his lecture, Hurd will focus on understanding the complexity of human biology. Human diseases present a multifaceted and layered pathology that can confound attempts at discovering underlying causes and prevent effective treatment. Less complex organisms have given biomedical researchers insight into human biology, and in the future, they may help develop effective strategies for prevention and treatment of disease.
Hurd attended Hiram College and graduated with a bachelor of arts in biology in 1991. He then went to Indiana University (Bloomington campus) and graduated with his Ph.D. in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology in 1997. Hurd completed his post-doctoral fellowship at Cornell University from 1998-2002, and started at Fisher in 2002.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Employees Recognized for Milestone Service Years
- Women’s Basketball Team Hosts Toy Drive during Crosstown Basketball Tournament
- College to Host 17th Annual Day of Celebration
- National Conference Offers Fisher Students Chance to Network with PR Pros
- Business Students Find Success at BGS Summit
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Senator Rich Funke, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Launch Safe Medication Disposal Campaign
- For Fifth Consecutive Year, Students Take First in Regional Tax Competition