Faculty Present at Science Teachers Association Conference
Dr. Bernard Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, and Doug Llewellyn, Adjunct Faculty in the Educational Leadership program at the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, recently presented at the Annual Conference of the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS). The conference took place November 5-8 in Rochester.
Ricca’s presentation was entitled “Developing Scientific Reasoning,” a hands-on presentation where participants engaged in activities designed to promote skills needed to develop good experiments .They also explored ways to integrate the experiments into science curricula.
Llewellyn’s presentation, “Differentiated Science Inquiry,” was for teachers who had prior inquiry experience, and offered a process to differentiate an investigation into four approaches based on students’ need for structure.
Additionally, he presented “The Role of Argumentation in Inquiry: Doing What Real Scientists Really Do,” where he highlighted how teachers can encourage their students to make claims and offer supportive evidence to those claims. Llewellyn’s theory is by doing that, teachers are enabling their students to understand the nature of scientific investigations, develop science reasoning skills, and better appreciate the real work of scientists.
STANYS is New York’s oldest professional organization of science educators. Its membership ranges from Pre-K to University and informal science educators, creating a collaborative association for science education.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Employees Recognized for Milestone Service Years
- Women’s Basketball Team Hosts Toy Drive during Crosstown Basketball Tournament
- College to Host 17th Annual Day of Celebration
- National Conference Offers Fisher Students Chance to Network with PR Pros
- Business Students Find Success at BGS Summit
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Senator Rich Funke, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Launch Safe Medication Disposal Campaign
- For Fifth Consecutive Year, Students Take First in Regional Tax Competition