Faculty Present at Science Teachers Association Conference
Dr. Bernard Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, and Doug Llewellyn, Adjunct Faculty in the Educational Leadership program at the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, recently presented at the Annual Conference of the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS). The conference took place November 5-8 in Rochester.
Ricca’s presentation was entitled “Developing Scientific Reasoning,” a hands-on presentation where participants engaged in activities designed to promote skills needed to develop good experiments .They also explored ways to integrate the experiments into science curricula.
Llewellyn’s presentation, “Differentiated Science Inquiry,” was for teachers who had prior inquiry experience, and offered a process to differentiate an investigation into four approaches based on students’ need for structure.
Additionally, he presented “The Role of Argumentation in Inquiry: Doing What Real Scientists Really Do,” where he highlighted how teachers can encourage their students to make claims and offer supportive evidence to those claims. Llewellyn’s theory is by doing that, teachers are enabling their students to understand the nature of scientific investigations, develop science reasoning skills, and better appreciate the real work of scientists.
STANYS is New York’s oldest professional organization of science educators. Its membership ranges from Pre-K to University and informal science educators, creating a collaborative association for science education.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain