Faculty Present at Science Teachers Association Conference
Dr. Bernard Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, and Doug Llewellyn, Adjunct Faculty in the Educational Leadership program at the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, recently presented at the Annual Conference of the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS). The conference took place November 5-8 in Rochester.
Ricca’s presentation was entitled “Developing Scientific Reasoning,” a hands-on presentation where participants engaged in activities designed to promote skills needed to develop good experiments .They also explored ways to integrate the experiments into science curricula.
Llewellyn’s presentation, “Differentiated Science Inquiry,” was for teachers who had prior inquiry experience, and offered a process to differentiate an investigation into four approaches based on students’ need for structure.
Additionally, he presented “The Role of Argumentation in Inquiry: Doing What Real Scientists Really Do,” where he highlighted how teachers can encourage their students to make claims and offer supportive evidence to those claims. Llewellyn’s theory is by doing that, teachers are enabling their students to understand the nature of scientific investigations, develop science reasoning skills, and better appreciate the real work of scientists.
STANYS is New York’s oldest professional organization of science educators. Its membership ranges from Pre-K to University and informal science educators, creating a collaborative association for science education.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant