“Fisher Spirit Week” Leads to Battle of the Beaks Basketball Games
The Student Government Association (SGA) is calling for all beaks on deck as they declare “Fisher Spirit Week” leading to the Battle of the Beaks varsity basketball games against Nazareth College on Friday, February 14.
SGA reached out to faculty and staff this week to encourage their participation in a spirit door decorating contest. The contest will run from February 10-14, and prizes are up for grabs for the department and individual doors with the most spirit.
In addition, SGA has organized spirit events during the week:
- Wednesday, February 12: Free breakfast from 7:30-11:00 a.m. in the Basil Hall lobby.
- Thursday, February 13: T-shirt trade-in! Students can bring in t-shirts with logos from another school and trade them in for a free Fisher t-shirt from 12:00-2:00 p.m. in the Campus Center atrium.
- Friday, February 14: Fisher Friday Tailgate! Stop in the Campus Center Mainstage from 4:00-6:00 p.m. for free food and make your poster for the Battle of the Beaks games (materials provided).
Students can also pick up their very own giant “Go Fisher” foam finger at the events throughout the week.
Shannon Davis, Vice President of Activities for SGA, said that the organization has been putting more of an emphasis on spirit this year after learning about creative and fun spirit events other schools held on their campuses at a conference some SGA members attended over the summer.
“It was great to see how much pride they had for their schools, so we decided that it was something we wanted to focus on here at Fisher. Also, being an athlete and having another athlete on the executive board, we saw a divide between the population of student athletes and general students and wanted to work to bridge the gap between the two groups,” said Davis.
The men’s basketball game will begin at 6:00 p.m. on February 14, with the women’s team tipping off at 8:00 p.m.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced