St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
St. John Fisher College kicked off its 8th Annual College Bound program this weekend, hosting 37 area high school students for an intensive five-day residential program designed to help them discover their academic and career interests. Students will stay on campus until Thursday, July 31.
The program is aimed at soon-to-be high school seniors who are academically qualified, low-income students and are the first in their families that plan to attend college. In order to be considered for the program, students must be nominated by a school official, and meet specific academic and financial criteria.
Throughout the program, admissions counselors from various colleges and universities will work with these students to discover their interests and explore potential career options; enable them to develop a consideration set of colleges and determine what aspects of college are most important to them; and help the students understand the admissions application process, including completing an application, admissions interviews, and the college essay. The students will also have the opportunity to experience other college campuses, with tours scheduled at in the Buffalo area colleges.
Additionally, as part of the overall program, the students will attend a follow-up workshop during their senior year of high school.
Students attend College Bound for free, and the program is supported in part by M&T Bank; the Fred & Floy Willmott Foundation; and the Ames-Amzalak Memorial Trust, in memory of Henry Ames, Semon Amzalak, and Dan Amzalak.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program