St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
St. John Fisher College kicked off its 8th Annual College Bound program this weekend, hosting 37 area high school students for an intensive five-day residential program designed to help them discover their academic and career interests. Students will stay on campus until Thursday, July 31.
The program is aimed at soon-to-be high school seniors who are academically qualified, low-income students and are the first in their families that plan to attend college. In order to be considered for the program, students must be nominated by a school official, and meet specific academic and financial criteria.
Throughout the program, admissions counselors from various colleges and universities will work with these students to discover their interests and explore potential career options; enable them to develop a consideration set of colleges and determine what aspects of college are most important to them; and help the students understand the admissions application process, including completing an application, admissions interviews, and the college essay. The students will also have the opportunity to experience other college campuses, with tours scheduled at in the Buffalo area colleges.
Additionally, as part of the overall program, the students will attend a follow-up workshop during their senior year of high school.
Students attend College Bound for free, and the program is supported in part by M&T Bank; the Fred & Floy Willmott Foundation; and the Ames-Amzalak Memorial Trust, in memory of Henry Ames, Semon Amzalak, and Dan Amzalak.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students