St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
St. John Fisher College kicked off its 8th Annual College Bound program this weekend, hosting 37 area high school students for an intensive five-day residential program designed to help them discover their academic and career interests. Students will stay on campus until Thursday, July 31.
The program is aimed at soon-to-be high school seniors who are academically qualified, low-income students and are the first in their families that plan to attend college. In order to be considered for the program, students must be nominated by a school official, and meet specific academic and financial criteria.
Throughout the program, admissions counselors from various colleges and universities will work with these students to discover their interests and explore potential career options; enable them to develop a consideration set of colleges and determine what aspects of college are most important to them; and help the students understand the admissions application process, including completing an application, admissions interviews, and the college essay. The students will also have the opportunity to experience other college campuses, with tours scheduled at in the Buffalo area colleges.
Additionally, as part of the overall program, the students will attend a follow-up workshop during their senior year of high school.
Students attend College Bound for free, and the program is supported in part by M&T Bank; the Fred & Floy Willmott Foundation; and the Ames-Amzalak Memorial Trust, in memory of Henry Ames, Semon Amzalak, and Dan Amzalak.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes