Fisher Athletes Attend Annual Empire 8 Summit
Three St. John Fisher College athletes attended the 7th Annual Empire 8 Student-Athlete Summit on January 25 and 26 at the Woodcliff Hotel and Spa in Fairport. Women’s lacrosse players Logan Barnard and Mary Kate Edmunds, along with Donovan Kims from the football team, represented the College’s Athletics Department.
This year’s summit focused on bringing together members of the higher education community from all nine conference institutions to identify collaborative strategies to address interpersonal violence. The crowd included student-athletes, administrators, coaches, and Vice Presidents of Student Affairs.
Former Syracuse All-American, Donald G. McPherson, delivered a powerful message against violence and abusive relationships to the participants Friday night. For more than 25 years, McPherson has used the power and appeal of sport to address complex social justice issues. He has created innovative programs, supported community service providers, and has provided educational seminars and lectures throughout North America.
The participants also heard from Dr. Steve Byrne and Dr. Hannah Young, Assistant Professors of Counseling at Alfred University. They are both licensed psychologists with interests in interpersonal relationships, partner violence, and prevention programming, and offered insight into the resources available for campus-based collaboration.
Programming for the summit was made possible through the NCAA Strategic Initiative Grant Tier II funds.
Latest College News Stories
- Marketing Club Plans Robust Marketing Week, Open to Campus Community
- Gandhi Wins Szarejko Information Literacy Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Tessoni '69 Receives Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State