High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
St. John Fisher College’s Department of Media and Communication held its annual Spend-a-Day program on February 21. Prospective students from across New York State and even Pennsylvania spent the day with current faculty and students from the department learning what their futures would be like if they chose Fisher.
“This was really important for me to be able to see the facilities and get some hands-on experience with professors, students, and the programs that I am considering,” said Peter Mancarella, a prospective student from Pittsford.
The students sat in a mock lesson taught by Dr. Jack Rosenberry, Department Chair. The lesson was based on Multimedia Writing (COMM 295), one of the foundational courses students majoring in Media and Communication or Media Management will take.
Next, the students went into the television studio where they had a chance to practice using the studio equipment and learn the roles of production. They even filmed their own episodes of Cardinal Television’s (CTV) show “Commotion.”
To finish off the morning session, the students experienced another mock lesson taught by Professor Jeremy Sarachan. Sarachan is the Program Director of the College’s Digital Cultures and Technologies program, so he tailored his presentation for students interested in digital cultures.
During lunch with students and faculty of the department, the prospective students and their families heard about the internship program and the department’s co-curricular activities. They had the chance to talk with student representatives from The Cardinal Courier, CTV, PRSSA, PRIMA, and Lambda Pi Eta and learn how to get involved and how they are beneficial to the students.
The Spend-a-Day program ended with a trip to the Courier office. While there, the students had the chance to create their own front page cover of the newspaper.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference