High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
St. John Fisher College’s Department of Media and Communication held its annual Spend-a-Day program on February 21. Prospective students from across New York State and even Pennsylvania spent the day with current faculty and students from the department learning what their futures would be like if they chose Fisher.
“This was really important for me to be able to see the facilities and get some hands-on experience with professors, students, and the programs that I am considering,” said Peter Mancarella, a prospective student from Pittsford.
The students sat in a mock lesson taught by Dr. Jack Rosenberry, Department Chair. The lesson was based on Multimedia Writing (COMM 295), one of the foundational courses students majoring in Media and Communication or Media Management will take.
Next, the students went into the television studio where they had a chance to practice using the studio equipment and learn the roles of production. They even filmed their own episodes of Cardinal Television’s (CTV) show “Commotion.”
To finish off the morning session, the students experienced another mock lesson taught by Professor Jeremy Sarachan. Sarachan is the Program Director of the College’s Digital Cultures and Technologies program, so he tailored his presentation for students interested in digital cultures.
During lunch with students and faculty of the department, the prospective students and their families heard about the internship program and the department’s co-curricular activities. They had the chance to talk with student representatives from The Cardinal Courier, CTV, PRSSA, PRIMA, and Lambda Pi Eta and learn how to get involved and how they are beneficial to the students.
The Spend-a-Day program ended with a trip to the Courier office. While there, the students had the chance to create their own front page cover of the newspaper.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Fisher Students Blogging—and Bragging—About Campus Life
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship