High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
St. John Fisher College’s Department of Media and Communication held its annual Spend-a-Day program on February 21. Prospective students from across New York State and even Pennsylvania spent the day with current faculty and students from the department learning what their futures would be like if they chose Fisher.
“This was really important for me to be able to see the facilities and get some hands-on experience with professors, students, and the programs that I am considering,” said Peter Mancarella, a prospective student from Pittsford.
The students sat in a mock lesson taught by Dr. Jack Rosenberry, Department Chair. The lesson was based on Multimedia Writing (COMM 295), one of the foundational courses students majoring in Media and Communication or Media Management will take.
Next, the students went into the television studio where they had a chance to practice using the studio equipment and learn the roles of production. They even filmed their own episodes of Cardinal Television’s (CTV) show “Commotion.”
To finish off the morning session, the students experienced another mock lesson taught by Professor Jeremy Sarachan. Sarachan is the Program Director of the College’s Digital Cultures and Technologies program, so he tailored his presentation for students interested in digital cultures.
During lunch with students and faculty of the department, the prospective students and their families heard about the internship program and the department’s co-curricular activities. They had the chance to talk with student representatives from The Cardinal Courier, CTV, PRSSA, PRIMA, and Lambda Pi Eta and learn how to get involved and how they are beneficial to the students.
The Spend-a-Day program ended with a trip to the Courier office. While there, the students had the chance to create their own front page cover of the newspaper.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year